#1 Laurie

Laurie

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Local Club: GMOC

Posted 04 August 2017 - 04:37 PM

Now I'm sorry if this sounds obvious but can you top coat paint directly on top of etch or filler primer? After flatting of course naturally.
If not and I need to 'normal ' prime as well which colour? White or grey? It's going under Pro produced glacier white

I've painted in the past so I know all about the flatting between coats, but I've never painted A a solid colour and B something that isn't alloy wheels *blush*

#2 Laurie

Laurie

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 04:39 PM

So far I've keyed the surface, acid etched, flattened and it's about to get it's second coat of filler primer

#3 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:39 PM

I use primer filler and once its sanded back I simply paint on top of this, primer filler helps fill any minor marks in the surface below so that when you flat it for painting you get a nice finish.

I sand it with 400 grit on a DA connected to a vacuum cleaner for dust extraction, i've found the purple 3m disc (the ones with hundreds of little holes for dust extraction) and an intermediate foam pad work brilliantly.

#4 Laurie

Laurie

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:51 PM

I sanded with wet 600 by hand ( I'm only on the number plate light atm) dusted with another quick coat of etch (let dry) and have literally just put the first coat of top coat on....

....glacier white is a truly GORGEOUS shade of white, so far blue and silver hints without being metallic if that makes sense, it's lovely and totally a different colour to that on the car lol (oew)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users