5 replies to this topic

#1 Old man Clark

Old man Clark

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 06:53 AM

Hi all. I am about to take the plunge into mini ownership and I was thinking of buying a mini Mayfair circa 1985 and replacing the plastic wheel arches with the nice stainless strip that runs over the wheel arches and along the bottom edge of the car. I've read a lot about the difficulties of fitting this and how you can drill out the rivets to remove the plastic trim, but once they are removed does this mean holes need filling where the rivets were?

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:25 AM

well do you want to see the holes?

and except to find a whole pile of crud under the arches and also you may well find you tyres will sit too far out to be legal.

#3 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:40 AM

As above

The chrome trim is quite tricky to fit well and should be warmed up in hot water prior to fitting.

I would not use a hot air gun as this will just melt and/or distort the plastic.

I find that if you unroll it backwards onto the arches so you are working against the coil starting at the front arch and work along. That way, when you come to the tight curves at the front and back of the sill, it will roll and follow nicely round them.

If that makes sense.....?

Good luck

Ben

#4 greenmini1275

greenmini1275

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 09:27 AM

What size wheels are you planning on using as really the only wheels you can get away with are 10x4.5 and smaller. Later 12x4.5s need arches because of the offset of the alloys. If you don't like plastic arches, perhaps cover the plastic arches with chrome covers.
Something like these.

http://www.minispare...px|Back to shop

#5 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 04:12 PM

nope, not true. 12x4.5 rims can be used without the arches if you stick with 145 tyres.

yes the holes will need filling.

the deluxe chrome trim is a bugger to fit but the basic trim can be used with a lot less hassle.

#6 Old man Clark

Old man Clark

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 05:40 AM

Thanks all, much appreciated. I like the idea of fitting those wheel arch trims to the current arches greenmini1275.......seems like a good way forward for someone as inexperienced as myself. Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users