#1 Laurie

Laurie

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Local Club: GMOC

Posted 07 August 2017 - 10:46 PM

I bought a mini bonnet today, which I'm more than happy with, thing is it 'had' a bit or surface rust in one area which I've chipped off already (not an integral strength area by the way) and was going to grind it back and treat it tomorrow.
There is plenty of metal undamaged underneath, so I was going to repair rather than reweld on a new section.

Would it be considered cheating if I fibreglass filled to regain the height of the metal after treatment?
It's only a few mm if that needed to regain, I could probably leave it but I assume that it's so thick for a reason? I don't want wobbly looking joints! I'm also of the opinion normal car filler on it's own would crack, especially in a heated environment such as the bonnet, and they sell fibreglass bonnets too so...

What'd ya reckon?

#2 robminibcy

robminibcy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 01:28 AM

i would make sure every speck of rust is gone using drill/dremel/grinder mounted brushes, then treat, they prime followed by high build primer over the pitted area. then just wet flat to make sure its all even. Obviously this depends on exactly where on the bonnet this is with regard to tool access.

Edited by robminibcy, 08 August 2017 - 01:29 AM.

#3 minimans

minimans

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 04:35 AM

Just an opinion. but if its rusty enough to need filler or fiberglass It's not surface rust......... Surface rust is rust than you can remove with a rub with some wet and dry, anything else is just rust............

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users