#1 ministeve1

ministeve1

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Local Club: CharlesExete

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:58 AM

Hi all i recently had an over heating problem on my new mini. Think it was cause by an air pocket as after i flushed it all and re filled its been fine. But on inspection i went to check the thermostat and there isnt one in there. I know they can run without it in summer but want to get one to go in there but havnt a clue what one(s) to get? So many with difrent temps im not sure whats the best ones to get?

so what temp one should i get for summer and winter here in the uk?

Kind regards

Steve ;-)

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:09 AM

you should always run with a stat or a blanking sleeve or you can have over heating issues due to poor water flow through the engine.

a higher temp one for cold weather and a lower temp one for warmer weather. 

http://www.minispare...|Back to search

should be fine for winter.

#3 Minigman

Minigman

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:12 AM

You should always have a thermostat fitted even in summer. Running without causes hot spots in the cylinder leading to premature failure. Every mini I've ever bought was missing it's thermostat, removing them is a common 'fix' to solve an overheating problem caused by blocked water ways, corroded rad or matrix etc. I always run an 82 degree as a good all rounder. Later minis ran 88. If you need heat for winter driving I'd fit the 88 and make sure your rad and matrix are up to scratch. Upgrade the water pump too for a high flow one if you experience over heating issues once the thermostat is refitted.

Edited by Minigman, 12 August 2017 - 01:01 PM.

#4 ministeve1

ministeve1

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:07 PM

You should always have a thermostat fitted even in summer. Running without causes hot spots in the cylinder leading to premature failure. Every mini I've bee bought was missing it's thermostat, removing them is a common 'fix' to solve an overheating problem caused by blocked water ways, corroded rad or matrix etc. I always run an 82 degree as a good all rounder. Later minis ran 88. If you need heat for winter driving I'd fit the 88 and make sure your rad and matrix are up to scratch. Upgrade the water pump too for a high flow one if you experience over heating issues once the thermostat is refitted.

Cool i will get an 82 one then ;-)

im not very good with engines but when it over heated my brother said to check the thermostat so took the cover off and oh there wasnt one in there. hence why i want to get that sorted asap so was looking but so many difrent temp ones i was just unsure what to go for.

Now you have cleared that up for me i will get the 82 and see how it goes. Thanks peeps ;-)

Best wishes

Steve ;-)

Edited by ministeve1, 12 August 2017 - 12:13 PM.

#5 Minigman

Minigman

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:50 PM

If you overheated and didn't have one fitted, then fitting one won't cure your problem. You may have an air lock but more likely your rad and waterways are bunged up with corrosion sludge.

If you're on a tight budget, my advice is to flush out the rad, matrix and block. If you've got £200 to spare, I'd renew the matrix,rad for uprated one (minispares 4 core) and renew the water pump for an uprated one.

Every mini I've ever bought (too many) I've done this to and cured the overheating issue.

Try flushing first but it doesn't always work if the rad is old.

Edited by Minigman, 12 August 2017 - 12:51 PM.

#6 ministeve1

ministeve1

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:14 PM

If you overheated and didn't have one fitted, then fitting one won't cure your problem. You may have an air lock but more likely your rad and waterways are bunged up with corrosion sludge.

If you're on a tight budget, my advice is to flush out the rad, matrix and block. If you've got £200 to spare, I'd renew the matrix,rad for uprated one (minispares 4 core) and renew the water pump for an uprated one.

Every mini I've ever bought (too many) I've done this to and cured the overheating issue.

Try flushing first but it doesn't always work if the rad is old.

I flushed it out twice and re filled cleaned what sludge i could and so far it hasnt over heated again so hoping it was just a air pocket. I did wonder if that could of been the problem as i took the bottom hose off when i fitted a new speedo cable a couple of days befor so moved it so could get to were the speedo cable screws on. Since its been flushed and de slugged touch wood it hasnt done it again. ;-) Mabe me taking the pipe of caused an air pocket and moved the slugge to block it. Who knows lol

Kind regards

Steve ;-)

Edited by ministeve1, 15 August 2017 - 08:16 PM.

#7 Minigman

Minigman

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:42 PM

Glad it's going well. Make sure you use antifreeze with the water which helps keep corrosion to a minimum.

#8 ministeve1

ministeve1

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:47 PM

Glad it's going well. Make sure you use antifreeze with the water which helps keep corrosion to a minimum.

Yup cant do without that especialy in the winter ;-)

best wishes

Steve ;-)

#9 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:52 AM

Use a good quality coolant/antifreeze/water mixture at all times and this should be changed every 3 years to prevent corrosion and sludge build up.

#10 ministeve1

ministeve1

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 03:49 PM

Use a good quality coolant/antifreeze/water mixture at all times and this should be changed every 3 years to prevent corrosion and sludge build up.

Will do ;-)

regards

Steve ;-)

#11 ministeve1

ministeve1

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 09:03 PM

well touch wood its running ok not over heated again since the flush, coolant/antifreeze and thermostat has been added. fingers crossed its all good.

Best wishes

Steve ;-)

#12 Minigman

Minigman

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 06:05 PM

Good news. Cheap fix too!

#13 Minigman

Minigman

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 06:14 PM

I've just seen your new post saying you've got issues again. Is the timing ok? I too have flushed out rads only for them to clog straight away again. My original advice still stands. New performance rad, new high flow water pump, new heater matrix, new stat. Going to cost you £200 and an afternoon to sort.

#14 ministeve1

ministeve1

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 06:31 PM

I've just seen your new post saying you've got issues again. Is the timing ok? I too have flushed out rads only for them to clog straight away again. My original advice still stands. New performance rad, new high flow water pump, new heater matrix, new stat. Going to cost you £200 and an afternoon to sort.

it broke down this morning the power switch died on meso got the AA man out lol, but while he was here i got him to look the engine over. He said the timming is way out and running to fast so need to get that done. He also said it seems to be burning a bit of oil and geussed at mabe a head gasket going? he said that can cause it to over heat as well? So wont be driving it anymore Till i can get some one to look it all over properly for me but who knows when that will be. I have a friend who is going to ask someone she knows to see if they can come look it over and hopfully give me a verdict and what it will cost to fix it all.

Not been a good day and loosing my job next week as place shutting down dosnt help the matter either...Big sigh.

Best wishes

Steve.

Edited by ministeve1, 23 August 2017 - 06:32 PM.

#15 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 25 August 2017 - 12:44 PM

What I usually do after flushing the engine is to run the car up to temperature without the thermostat fitted, I don't run one as my engines don't overheat so we shall see

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users