32 replies to this topic

#16 old original

old original

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:04 PM

Main and only car. Daily 30 mile round trip and when it's having a tantrum, bertie the bus comes to the rescue. (...and the beer bill increases)

#17 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:20 PM

I guess my Cooper 'S' is a 4th car really since both my wife and I have BMW's and I have a Land Rover Discovery for trailer towing and as a sort-of 'van'.

When my 1964 850 is finally finished I shall use that a bit, but will probably sell it and buy one of two cars I have never owned but always wanted; a 1960-ish Sunbeam Rapier or a Mk.2 or Mk.3 Ford Zodiac. All super useable classics and good for the retro-driving experience.

I certainly wouldn't want to use an classic on a daily basis. If I did, it wouldn't be a Mini. More likely to be a Rover P6 with either the 2200 or 3500 engine. All affordable for the same sort of money as a top quality Mini.

#18 Laurie

Laurie

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Local Club: GMOC

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:30 PM

.....I certainly wouldn't want to use an classic on a daily basis....

Amen to that sentiment :-)

#19 Orange-Phantom

Orange-Phantom

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:04 PM

2nd car for me.  Which is a bonus as I keep finding things to tinker (improve) on it!  I wouldn't want to use it daily as it's a classic, plus with it having unsynchronized transmission, using it daily in traffic would start becoming a nuisance!

I only live 10 mins from work so that also helps with keeping it in the garage and being able to use it for fun when I want to.

#20 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:53 PM

The use of classic cars on a daily basis is very rare. After all, how many classics does one see when driving around. Summer weekends are a bit different of course.

Modern cars are so capable compared to classics in terms of performance, reliability, comfort and ride.

#21 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 07:10 PM

Daily for me, had the 998 ritz as my first drivable car when I was 18, drove it for 3 years until the rust set in and now have a 1997 MPI as the daily and the one I done up as my sunny day car. I've been thinking of getting a modern car but can't bring myself to get one, They're just not as fun with there power steering and accurate fuel gauge...

#22 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 07:32 PM

My Mini GT is my weekend car which I purchased when I took early retirement, my other car is a JCW Bini for regular and motorway use, my wifes Suzuki  is for ferrying everything and everybody else around, this includes children/grandchildren and anything else that we can cram in.

The grandchildren love the little Mini best (PS so do I).

#23 mattmiglia

mattmiglia

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:24 PM

Not had one as my main car since I was 19/20. Always a weekend/track toy

#24 Mrpeanut

Mrpeanut

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts
  • Local Club: Wessex MOC

Posted 16 August 2017 - 09:28 PM

Normally my bini is my daily but while the kids are off school and the roads quieter I'm kicking around in the two classics. Strangely i'm enjoying the grottier one more despite it looking and driving worse - feels more of a classic with a bit of rust here and there! Both of them make the drive to and from work a pleasure.

#25 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,898 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 16 August 2017 - 09:46 PM

mine is just a toy.

#26 minimans

minimans

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 09:57 PM

Always used my mini's as daily drivers the last one was a 70 mile commute on the 210 freeway for near on 4 years then I moved closer to work down to 20miles, the mini was mine and the wife had a Suburban for the kids. The one I'm building now will be a weekend wonder I fear as it won't be very friendly to drive on the roads. Daily for me is a Discovery or XJ8...................I've gone soft...............

#27 ministeve1

ministeve1

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Local Club: CharlesExete

Posted 16 August 2017 - 11:40 PM

Daily for me, had the 998 ritz as my first drivable car when I was 18, drove it for 3 years until the rust set in and now have a 1997 MPI as the daily and the one I done up as my sunny day car. I've been thinking of getting a modern car but can't bring myself to get one, They're just not as fun with there power steering and accurate fuel gauge...

I must agree there. ;-) I Hate driving at the best of times but in the mini I love it. Old school driving. hehe

Its funny as now when i get in the other car its so strange being so quiet and far to easy to drive lol Much prefer the mini Loud slow and much more fun fidling with the choke leaver lmao :-) Cant beat a boxed go cart on wheels hehe. ;-)

Kind regards

Steve ;-)

#28 rider4life

rider4life

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 11:53 PM

2nd car for weekends

#29 cooperdan

cooperdan

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,729 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:05 AM

My Mini is my main car. My wife drives a Tucson, I drive my Mini. I shop in the Mini, take the kid to nursery in the Mini, I do an 18 mile round trip everyday of the year. I've put 9k on the car in 2 years and part of that 2 years was a restoration. I used to drive from Gutetsloh in Germany to Salisbury every other weekend in my Mini and from Dishforth in N. Yorkshire to Salisbury every weekend after that. A well maintained Mini will take you anywhere.

Blimey that's some miles in a mini two and from those places, fair play to you

#30 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:41 AM

2nd, 3Rd and 4th... Now i have a skoda Octavia as a daily, lots of space for mini parts! 😁
Used to do 170km a week in my first car, a mini 998, every day come rain or snow (sometimes about 30cm of it) for about 14years but then it just wasn't able to go on without major surgery to its body and now it's waiting for a rebuild... 😐
I do miss her...

On a second note, my brother has two and drives them every day and takes his 3 kids in them too! 😎

Edited by MacGyver, 17 August 2017 - 05:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users