Photo
- - - - -

Cleaning Old Rusty Block And Head

Best Answer whistler , 29 August 2017 - 02:37 PM

I ended up using the electrolytic method for the block and head and it was quite successful. Big water tank (e. attic water tank). Put block in. Fill up to cover with buckets of water. Add 1 tablespoon of Washing Soda (not Bicarb) per 4 litres of water. Used an old garden spade blade as a negative, lead to -ve battery. +ve battery to block connection and cook slowly for a few days. Looks like oxtail soup after a few hours. It removed enough rust that with a wire brush afterwards you could see bare metal.
Just make sure the spade (-ve) doesn't touch the block. I used a brick as a spacer. Space age technology.
I used a 12v charger across the battery to keep the juice flowing. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 Laurie

Laurie

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Local Club: GMOC

Posted 16 August 2017 - 07:14 PM

Sounds like someone is trying to extract a lot of money from you.

Doesn't it just! lol 😂

#17 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 16 August 2017 - 09:43 PM

I used white vinegar from the supermarket for removing rust on a couple of heads. You would need to remove any grease or grime first. 

14150057490_118931680f_c.jpg

14340250794_792c19ae93_c.jpg

Edited by timmy850, 16 August 2017 - 09:44 PM.

#18 neal

neal

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 12:29 PM

I used white vinegar from the supermarket for removing rust on a couple of heads. You would need to remove any grease or grime first. 

14150057490_118931680f_c.jpg

14340250794_792c19ae93_c.jpg

I degrease using Diesel (Satan's semen) then a quick was with whatever is under the sink in the kitchen with hot water (floor cleaner/bleach or whatever I can get my hands on without upsetting the missus too much)

Then put items in a suitable container and mix hot water with brick & patio cleaner. Depending on the amount of rust adjust your ratio of cleaner/water, this can be used time and time again. I use it to clean my cylinder heads overnight, comes out really nice but you have to rinse thoroughly with fresh water, the only thing is the metal flash rusts quickly so I used to brush a bit of white spirit & drop of engine oil, or diesel on quickly to hold it back while I work on it.

It is quite a strong acid designed to break down splashed cement on brickwork or cleans concrete slabs, you will notice bubbles appearing as it eats away the rust therefore leave it outside to vent. It is very strong stuff so make sure you wear rubber gloves, face shield etc. If you do get any of this stuff on your skin rinse with lots & lots of cold water.

A gallon of brick & patio cleaner available from DIY stores such as Homebase, Wickes etc is about £10.00

http://www.buildbase...0010578-2800160

Far better than vinegar but more aggressive, keep a close eye on non ferrous items such as aluminium as it eats this rapido (dilute to suit, good weed killer as well)

I use this method prior to nickel zinc plating, now there's a bit of kit that's fun to use, not for cylinder heads and blocks mind, but for carb linkages, brackets etc.

Check this site out

http://gaterosplating.co.uk/

Edited by neal, 29 August 2017 - 01:10 PM.

#19 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 02:37 PM   Best Answer

I ended up using the electrolytic method for the block and head and it was quite successful. Big water tank (e. attic water tank). Put block in. Fill up to cover with buckets of water. Add 1 tablespoon of Washing Soda (not Bicarb) per 4 litres of water. Used an old garden spade blade as a negative, lead to -ve battery. +ve battery to block connection and cook slowly for a few days. Looks like oxtail soup after a few hours. It removed enough rust that with a wire brush afterwards you could see bare metal.
Just make sure the spade (-ve) doesn't touch the block. I used a brick as a spacer. Space age technology.
I used a 12v charger across the battery to keep the juice flowing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users