17 replies to this topic

#1 racingbob

racingbob

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,061 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 03:21 PM

Took my car to janspeed today got 72.3 hp at the wheels and 70 torque at wheels that's about 86 hp at flywheel with my car.realy happy with neals new head he did for me. Russell said pulled realy well for mg metro cam. Thanks neal. Can recommend janspeed for people in the area now slark moved to bristol now I believe that's 9 more hp at the wheels than a early 1275 Cooper s which I remember was 63 I know that because my 850 mini 7 racer in 1977 gave 63 at the wheels and we used to say same as Cooper s

Edited by racingbob, 16 August 2017 - 03:47 PM.

#2 greenmini1275

greenmini1275

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 03:36 PM

Slark moved? When was that? I hadn't realised Janspeed had a RR.
What is your engine spec?

#3 racingbob

racingbob

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,061 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 03:43 PM

1275, mg metro cam . Stage 4 head from neal here on the forum who's a friend of mine. Maniflow exhaust Ac Dodd recurved dizzy. Got a vizard spec hif44

#4 greenmini1275

greenmini1275

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 03:53 PM

Similar to what I was looking at apart from I was looking at a Keith Calver stage 3 head, (or what ever it is he calls them).

#5 Stevie W

Stevie W

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts
  • Local Club: P&SMOC

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:42 PM

Took my car to janspeed today got 72.3 hp at the wheels and 70 torque at wheels that's about 86 hp at flywheel with my car.realy happy with neals new head he did for me. Russell said pulled realy well for mg metro cam. Thanks neal. Can recommend janspeed for people in the area now slark moved to bristol now I believe that's 9 more hp at the wheels than a early 1275 Cooper s which I remember was 63 I know that because my 850 mini 7 racer in 1977 gave 63 at the wheels and we used to say same as Cooper s

Hi Bob,

If you don't mind me asking, how much is a rolling road session at Janspeed? My Mini is running well but could do with a proper rolling road session! If I could get my car anywhere near your engines output, I'd be well happy!

Many thanks, Steve.

#6 racingbob

racingbob

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,061 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 07:11 PM

Hey Steve it's 60 an hour found him good. young fella. They still do minis he said. Mine was real good for mg metro cam

#7 minimadman1

minimadman1

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:12 PM

I knew neals head would be brilliant! Can not wait to get my head on this weekend!!!

#8 racingbob

racingbob

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,061 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:19 PM

I knew neals head would be brilliant! Can not wait to get my head on this weekend!!!

catch up at combe see if I can bring my mini. You won't be disappointed with the head

#9 racingbob

racingbob

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,061 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:09 PM

th_041_zpsodmbqszx.jpg

URL=http://s1199.photobu...v1ln.jpeg.html]th_table%20038_zpsqkapv1ln.jpeg[/URL]

#10 Stevie W

Stevie W

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts
  • Local Club: P&SMOC

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:24 PM

Hey Steve it's 60 an hour found him good. young fella. They still do minis he said. Mine was real good for mg metro cam

Many thanks Bob!

When I get 5 minutes I'll have to look into getting mine done. Have used my Mini a few times this year and took it to Breamore house classic car show in Fordignbridge on Sunday. It goes well but over the winter the clutch is coming out as I have a major juddder!

Cheers, Steve. 

#11 minimadman1

minimadman1

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:00 PM

At least a mini clutch isn't too hard to change even I managed to do mine all by myself haha Bob looking forward to meeting you Neal said I have to get my mini finished for the drive to you )I don't think he fancies going in a ST) lol

#12 neal

neal

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:32 AM

1275, mg metro cam . Stage 4 head from neal here on the forum who's a friend of mine. Maniflow exhaust Ac Dodd recurved dizzy. Got a vizard spec hif44

Hey Bob,

Just to clarify things, the previous head that you had off me which produced 80/80 using a comp ratio of 9.75:1 was good for what you wanted at the time and a little more could be gained if you increased the compression ratio, personally I would leave it as it is, keep it or sell it.

You then challenged me to see if I could squeeze a little more out of your engine spec, Is it fair to say that your engine is nowhere near a fresh rebuild?

However your new head is a different thing altogether and many hours have gone into this, I have virtually exactly the same head on my car which produces over 100 bhp at the fly and gives bags of torque, your head will have the capability on the right engine to exceed 7000rpm which I know you don't want. BUT, what I trying to say is that your new head has scope for further engine & cam upgrades (not race) and flexible for further mods so no need to buy another, whilst being able to give good figures on your current engine spec giving good torque & power with a snappy throttle response which you clearly noticed when you swapped the head.

Glad your happy with the outcome Bob

Neal :)

#13 racingbob

racingbob

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,061 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 01:35 PM

This is interesting been looking at my rolling road figures. Standard mg metro head the torque at 5000 had dropped right of to 63 but a good modified head as mine still gives 82

#14 carbon

carbon

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 04:54 PM

Good result.

Just to check, is your new modified head being used with high lift rockers, and was previous value of 63 at 5000 with standard rockers?

#15 racingbob

racingbob

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,061 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 06:28 PM

Only 1.4 offset bushes so not much difference but all helps and med substack apart from that same engine. Ac Dodd recurved the dizzy for new head original head had standard mg metro dizzy but still a huge difference

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users