#1 lukeagore

lukeagore

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 07:07 PM

Hi

I have a 1988 Mini City E, chucked it in for an MOT last weekend and it has failed on rear shocks, which I've now changed, windscreen wipers, which I've adjusted and the horn was not working, which I'm really struggling with. I had it working for about a day and now it seems to have given up again, I was advised by the MOT tester that I had bad earths and that a candle was brighter than my headlights... 

I am a bit of a novice so just wondering if anybody has any advice for sorting my bad earths and headlights? I was told to give the earths a clean with emery cloth, but can someone tell me where they all are please? I've also checked my fuses, it initially had the following; 1-2 = 17A, 3-4 = 35A, 5-6 = 35A, 7-8 = 17A. All the threads I have seen say it should be 15A, 25A, 25A, 15A. Can someone confirm which is correct? I've changed the red relay under the dash, and have the silver one behind the dash on order so hoping that does the trick for my headlights.

Cheers

#2 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 07:14 PM

Have a look in the haynes manual (if you've got one, if not get one) for the fuses.

What headlights have you got? if it's sealed beams then they're not that bright anyway. get yourself a set of halogen ones

#3 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 16 August 2017 - 07:21 PM

If it's a set of sealed beam headlights ditch them and fit H4 upgrade units with Osram Nightbreaker bulbs

As for the horn is it definitely getting power to it from the stalk?

The earth point is on the left side bulkhead strengthener(driver's side, as viewed from front of car) its a cross head screw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users