5 replies to this topic

#1 Archie and his Mini

Archie and his Mini

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 11:19 AM

Hey guys, I posted last April ish near when I purchased this nugget of fun, I have since had a s*** load of work on my car. £4850 worth of work to be precise. Had the floor replaced a long with a lot of the front end and just a general tear down and put back together. And then a nice respray(included in the £4850), which I promptly hobnobbed in a few spots...

Anyhow I wish to purchase some new brakes and maybe upgrade my suspension in the coming months. I was intending on getting these for my brake set, as my current brakes have a noticeable shudder pretty consistently me and my friend reckon warped discs. For no real reason I have not inspected further but there is a good rumble on each hard use of the brakes, I will check sometime this week after work it might just be the pads.

https://www.amazon.c...3097-1-0&sr=1-2

https://www.amazon.c...rds=brembo pads

When I first bought it, I recall attempting to fiddle with the rear drums and having some trouble any advice would be appreciated. I see that a new set are only 140 odd max.

I was also wondering about my Instruments as I only have two screws, one screw on the left side and another that barely stays in on the top left/centre of the instruments. They tend to be quite loose. I have removed the instruments at one point and noticed where their should be screw holes and in its place there is cracked plastic, has anyone done repairs to this? and any idea where to buy or how to make a small green see through plastic sheet to cover my right indicator bulb in the dash its quite bright.

I have a few rattles as expected will further investigate and ask for suggestions another time.

Plenty of questions here... If you have any ideas or thoughts please do bung em below, I am welcome to suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Kindest regards,

Archie

Attached Files

#2 AeroNotix

AeroNotix

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 11:58 AM

These discs are much cheaper and very likely you won't need the brembos (I would be surprised if they made much difference on a mini): http://www.minispare...px|Back to shop

As for the juddering, it can be a few things other than the discs themselves, for example the tie bars/tie bar bushes.

No idea what you're spouting on about with instruments, at all. What do you mean?

#3 Archie and his Mini

Archie and his Mini

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 12:09 PM

These discs are much cheaper and very likely you won't need the brembos (I would be surprised if they made much difference on a mini): http://www.minispare...px|Back to shop

As for the juddering, it can be a few things other than the discs themselves, for example the tie bars/tie bar bushes.

No idea what you're spouting on about with instruments, at all. What do you mean?

There are screws missing on the back of the instrument cluster that should hold it to the metal brackets on the dash. As these are missing the dash rattles at speed.

On the instrument cluster itself the right indicator light is missing the arrow from it so you just look straight down into the bulb, which can be rather distracting at night.

Edited by Archie and his Mini, 21 August 2017 - 12:14 PM.

#4 AeroNotix

AeroNotix

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 11:38 AM

For the instrument cluster. I've had a similar problem actually. I took mine off, epoxied the holes up where anything was cracked, left it to cure and then screwed into that. You could try this. 

Not sure where you might be able to pick up the little plastic thing. I'd just tape it off until I found a replacement.

#5 Archie and his Mini

Archie and his Mini

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:23 PM

For the instrument cluster. I've had a similar problem actually. I took mine off, epoxied the holes up where anything was cracked, left it to cure and then screwed into that. You could try this. 

Not sure where you might be able to pick up the little plastic thing. I'd just tape it off until I found a replacement.

Ah okay thanks. The thing is there is nothing where there should be a screw hole so I guess ill make an epoxy clump and get some self tapping screws and hope it holds.

If anyone else has any suggestions please come forward. I am all ears.

Also has anyone bought or fabricated some sort of cup/bottle holders I feel the need to bung my beverages somewhere.

#6 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:48 PM

You need a MK 1 with the door pockets! Plenty of scope for making a cup holder, with holes for other things too, just a shaped piece of plywood. I was saddened to find that my second Mini, and subsequent, had wind up windows (which would me up, in a manner of speaking!) with a lot less storage space.

But more practicably, have a look round Halfords and other accessory shops for cup holders. Depending on your proportions (really long legs would not help) there may be room to fix it to the front of the parcel shelf, if that is exposed on your car, and not hidden by a nice dashboard, in which case it would screw through the lower edge of the dash instead.  Sometimes you have a switch or two there, which can probably be relocated to the left of the steering column.

But if you post a picture of your dashboard area, to show what is there on your exact model, I am sure that there will be more suggestions. You could try a centre console, which also used to be available in accessory shops very many years ago, or possibly put the cup holder on the door, hooking over the top edge of the inner side at the window slot.

Have fun!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brakes, suspension

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users