Photo

Finally Scanned Car Using Mems_Diag! Results.

Best Answer brivinci , 25 October 2017 - 05:25 AM

Results at last!!

I just had to post to say that my mini is running better then it ever has. Thanks for all the help as usual. Leopoldo and Alan (and their two amazing bits of software) really came through for me.

Using the MEMS_Diag at first, I was able to see that both my TBS and air temp sensors were faulty. When replacing them didnt cure the main issue, I switched to Alans MEMS Analyzer to look at the lambda. It too was faulty. Took a bit to get one in (theres a post about it) but replaced it and the car is running spot on now! The first time with all its upgrades and its sooo nice to really be able to feel the power and drive ability improvements.

To recap, my main issue (or latest I guess) was the car would not always accelerate smoothly. Most noticeable in 3rd and 4th, with you foot in a steady position on the throttle, you would feel the car surging/stumbling a bit. On occasion the idle would hunt 500rmp or so as well. Oh, and the exhaust smelled terribly rich. Even after I sorted the other sensors and discovered the failed lambda, I reallly didnt believe it would cure all my problem. I was thinking I had a fuel delivery issue as well. Possible fuel pump related. Well, the lambda was the ticket. Amazing how poor these cars can run in limp mode and then seem fine again the next day. I really cant say enough good things about the two different programs that read these ECUs. Really a must have for any injection mini.

Cheers guys!! Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 07:50 PM

It took me a week or so to get all the parts but they came in and I built my cable to plug into the MEMS unit on my SPi. As I am an Apple guy, the only non-Mac thing I could get my hands on was my fathers old Samsung Galaxy S4 and bought a micro-USB to female USB. Well, it all worked GREAT!! Thanks to Genpop for the amazing directions and links to build the cable and (another) shout out to MEMS_Diag off Google play. I only have the free version as Ihave not setup an account but will shortly and buy it.

As others have said, you have to go into the prefs first to switch to MEMS 1.6 as 1.9 is the default...if you have 1.6 that is. Connected instantly and seems to be running perfectly. The app that is...

Went to the fault codes and found two. Cleared them and ran the car again and both codes were present again. Have a look!

a92e7d8c4848e4d096df49cff9af523607ddabfa

So, being my first time using this app, is it safe to say that these are in fact faults and I should set about replacing? The TPS volts seems to function smoothly with the scanner hooked up but maybe there is something else I guess? Any other explanation for the faults? I would be SOOOOOO happy if these were in fact my issue but hate to through money at things that might be fine.

Also, please see the video of the car while running. Again, not 100% how this reads exactly but it looks to me that the Lambda is not functioning correctly, no? Anyone notice anything else? You get an idea of how bad things are when you bury the throttle. My foot goes straight to the floor...revs sputter and it nearly stalled once.

#2 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,898 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 26 August 2017 - 09:22 PM

Just as a heads up we could have simply moved this thread rather than starting it afresh. Just hit the report button as you did and then we would have moved it to this section.

#3 bluedragon

bluedragon

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 10:04 PM

I don't have much experience with SPI (as an MPI owner) but have scanned one of them before. The IAT code is "normal" - I don't believe the SPI or MPI have an IAT sensor implemented, so all stock Mini injected cars will report an error with IAT. That's the only "normal", expected error I know of.

Edited by bluedragon, 26 August 2017 - 10:05 PM.

#4 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 10:20 PM

The SPi does have an intake air temp sensor, located under the airbox.

http://minispares.co...c/NNK10001.aspx

#5 bluedragon

bluedragon

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 10:41 PM

Ah, most likely my memory is at fault. It may be only the MPI that lacks the sensor, and I mixed that up with the couple scans of an SPI I did a few years ago.

I seem to recall there was a temperature value (which on the MPI is a ludicrous one.) Sorry for the misdirect.

#6 buznout

buznout

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 03:54 AM

When I first accessed mine, it also had an IAT error. It didn't come back once cleared thankfully but a return would probably confirm an issue. I read in one of the threads that this sensor doesn't make up too much of the fuelling decisions anyway.

Secondly, I am still looking forward to getting this program working. Have tried it on a Nexus 7 tab but that didn't work (probably because it isn't a phone as is required in the instructions!) 

#7 genpop

genpop

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 05:40 AM

Hi,

congratulation for getting it to work.

The TPS would explain a lot of your missbehaving engine. So first have a look for this. The intake air fault is not so important but should be repaired as well.Intake air temp is always at 27² so the intake air heater beneath the intake manifold should work all the time.rpm is too high,ignition advance is fluctuating as well as map.Map should be between 40 and 100.(see blackbox solutions)Within prefs you could switch to doing a log.Within prefs for the phone you can switch to admin mode, find the log and send it to your mail account.In an VM you may run Al's mems analyzer and see the graphs in a better resolution.

But first have a look for the TPS signal!

#8 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 27 August 2017 - 06:38 AM

Nice job!
The data your talking about Bluedragon is the Ambient air temperature or is sometimes mapped as the fuel temperature and isn't used on SPi or MPi and has a static value of 200.
The MAP should read 100 at Ignition on without the motor running and then go down to between 35-40. If it stays near 100 you have a duff set of vacuum lines or fuel trap (which I always recommend you start off with replacing)
TPS fault can sometimes be physically seen if you remove the air filter and watch the fuel spray from the injector, as you 'accelerate' if it suddenly dumps a load of fuel and the motor stutters the TPS is worn. Careful movement when reading the TPS value should show it suddenly changes (bad track in the pot)

Have fun

FS

#9 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 01:40 PM

All the vac lines are new proper thick wall silicone and I just replaced the fuel trap as a matter of course. I had the ECU out recently and stuck some Cotten thread up here (no idea if it actually went all the way in) but nothing came out. I have no reason to believe the fuel trap was not working or have I ever seen any fuel drip when hose is removed from map sensor.

Being in the US, doing this can be tough but I'm lucky enough to have my brothers 95 SPi in near by storage. Hoping to get over there asap, scan his car just to make surr and then pull the ECU, air temp, and TPS to test. Provided his are functioning correctly, that might be a good way to see if these are at fault or if would be throwing money at nothing.

What about my lambda readings? That can't be right!

Oh, and the inlet heater on my car is toast. I removed it and it sounded like a maraca.

Edited by brivinci, 27 August 2017 - 02:04 PM.

#10 genpop

genpop

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 01:55 PM

Hi,

why playing and searching around. Repair theTPS ,then make a new test. If lambda is working well, you may see with the payed version of mems diag.. There you have some graphs.But as long as you don*t have a continious running engine you need not expect a closed loop.Or try to have mems-rosco running, there you have an extra notification for closed loop.

#11 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 03:02 PM

I remember when I scanned the car with a spykes unit, it would show the lambda going through its cycles. From high to low, every second. If it was slow or stuck on one value, you had a sensor that needed replacing. How do I tell that here?

I'll have to try and get a pc to run MEMS-rosco on and see which tells the most.

#12 AeroNotix

AeroNotix

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 03:21 PM

Genpop just to confirm memsdiag doesn't work with the MPI minis, right? They have the MEMS2J ECU and as far as I know this isn't compatible.

#13 AeroNotix

AeroNotix

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 03:21 PM

Deleted

Edited by AeroNotix, 27 August 2017 - 03:23 PM.

#14 genpop

genpop

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 03:22 PM

Hi,

both show you the same values but in different form.Mems diag reads more fault codes.Anyway it depends on the user if he can  interpret what he is reading.On a rough running engine you will never get a sinus like graph of lambda values.Very seldom the lambda sensor is the origin for rough running!But the closed loop status (sinus like curve) shows if everything else is ok.

Check the TPS!

#15 genpop

genpop

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 03:26 PM

@Aeronotix

as far as i know you are right! But you may contact Pawel (mems-diag) and Colin (mems-gauge) to confirm!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users