Photo

Finally Scanned Car Using Mems_Diag! Results.

Best Answer brivinci , 25 October 2017 - 05:25 AM

Results at last!!

I just had to post to say that my mini is running better then it ever has. Thanks for all the help as usual. Leopoldo and Alan (and their two amazing bits of software) really came through for me.

Using the MEMS_Diag at first, I was able to see that both my TBS and air temp sensors were faulty. When replacing them didnt cure the main issue, I switched to Alans MEMS Analyzer to look at the lambda. It too was faulty. Took a bit to get one in (theres a post about it) but replaced it and the car is running spot on now! The first time with all its upgrades and its sooo nice to really be able to feel the power and drive ability improvements.

To recap, my main issue (or latest I guess) was the car would not always accelerate smoothly. Most noticeable in 3rd and 4th, with you foot in a steady position on the throttle, you would feel the car surging/stumbling a bit. On occasion the idle would hunt 500rmp or so as well. Oh, and the exhaust smelled terribly rich. Even after I sorted the other sensors and discovered the failed lambda, I reallly didnt believe it would cure all my problem. I was thinking I had a fuel delivery issue as well. Possible fuel pump related. Well, the lambda was the ticket. Amazing how poor these cars can run in limp mode and then seem fine again the next day. I really cant say enough good things about the two different programs that read these ECUs. Really a must have for any injection mini.

Cheers guys!! Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#16 genpop

genpop

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 03:45 PM

@ buznout

have you read the complete http://memsdiag.blogspot.de/

there is an article about not working tablets (android) and how to solve the problem.

#17 AeroNotix

AeroNotix

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 05:15 PM

For some reason I was assuming you were Pawel. Nevermind. I'm 99.9% sure I am right anyway.

#18 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 05:24 AM

Right. Busted up to the storage unit to pilfer parts from my brothers 95 SPi. Cars been sitting for months if not a year. Swap out the IAT (inlet air temp) and TPS, clear the errors and fire it up. IAT cleared, TPS didn't. Car ran terrible. Turns out I hadn't engaged the arm on fne TPS that rides with the corresponding arm from the throttle body. Took a sec to figure it out but sorted. Seemed to be running brilliantly. Took the car out and things got weird. Throttle felt like it was hanging up, surging, the lot. Hooked it back up to scanner and the volts for the TBS were not coming down. Thought the scanner was holding high values or something. Turns out, the TBS was sticky. The arm would not return and would get hung up in the middle. Had to remove and work some lubricant in it. Finally smooth again. Here is a link to me testing it with my foot on the pedal. Regardless, I'll have to replace it and the air temp sensor as both errors cleared with thenswapped parts.

https://youtu.be/BRla956O04M

Ok, so with all that figured out, the car is running again. Is is better...hard to say. I jumped on the motorway and blasted it up and down for about 5 miles. Seems to pull good at times but I did notice some of the same surging. Blipping the throttle seemed better while on the move but I still got that hesitation from idle. Like it could stall. I'm going to test it all again tomorrow and confirm.

Here is some figures for the car after I got back from my little run around. Car is very much warm (you'll hear the aux fan kick in) and I appologize for it being sideways. Won't happen again:-/

https://youtu.be/M8IHbPYRcxc

Edited by brivinci, 30 August 2017 - 12:03 PM.

#19 AeroNotix

AeroNotix

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 12:30 PM

With the surging, a small thing to check is if the accelerator has the return spring attached. I accidentally left mine off once and the pedal would stick down.

#20 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:27 PM

I dont think the SPi has a return spring on the throttle pedal. The MPi cars do it seems. 

Drove the car to work today and its running better then before but still not perfect. There is still a dead spot when you blip the throttle. I mean, I did swap out an old TPS for another old TPS so maybe that has something to do with it. Obviously my old was coming up with a fault and this one is not so thats a start. So, if you guys agree that everything seems to check out now and nothing is out of range, where do I go next? How do I check the Lambda is functioning currently? I'd have to imagine that with the amount of fueling issues I have had, maybe that could have effected it.

#21 genpop

genpop

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 05:21 PM

Hi brivinci

borough a laptop and take mems-rosco.You will be shown lambda values and closedloop!

#22 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 05:22 PM

That is my next port of call then!

#23 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 10:15 PM

Drove the car home tonight and honestly, it seems nearly exactly the same. Hesitation while on the move and I was actually able to get it backfire (out exhaust I believe) when I stabbed the throttle from idle at a light. I can't really tell but I feel it's worse when the throttle is around the middle.

Could the TPS be worn but not throw an error? What are the chances that both mine AND my brothers were causing the same issues...unlikely to me.

Do any of these apps/programs run the diagnostic test like the spykes does? Could there be an issue with fuel delivery? Like a wonky fuel pump or bad injector?

#24 cian

cian

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Local Club: Minis In Northern Ireland

Posted 31 August 2017 - 05:18 AM

I had the exact same problem with my mpi when on partial throttle, changed the fuel pump and problem was solved!

#25 genpop

genpop

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 06:14 AM

You can easyli check that.You need a small Y-Tube (windshield-washer systems have them) and a manometer what does 1,5 bar.(bycicle air pump or pressure-gauge of a heating system).and some tubes. Switch them in the line before the carb.Pressure should be 0,8 -1 bar at all driving situations.Extend tube into the passenger room and drive the car.

Of course you should change the gasfilter first.

Edited by genpop, 31 August 2017 - 06:16 AM.

#26 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 31 August 2017 - 01:00 PM

Drove the car home tonight and honestly, it seems nearly exactly the same. Hesitation while on the move and I was actually able to get it backfire (out exhaust I believe) when I stabbed the throttle from idle at a light. I can't really tell but I feel it's worse when the throttle is around the middle.
Could the TPS be worn but not throw an error? What are the chances that both mine AND my brothers were causing the same issues...unlikely to me.
Do any of these apps/programs run the diagnostic test like the spykes does? Could there be an issue with fuel delivery? Like a wonky fuel pump or bad injector?

Yes the TPS can be worn but not enough to throw an error. It has a return spring in it to return to idle.
As I wrote in post #8 it is worth removing the air filter and with an assistant try different pedal positions including stabbing the throttl; look at the injector spray - when my TPS got worn when I accelerated there was a point where the injector dumped a big whoosh of fuel which caused a hesitation. Checking the TPS with a multimeter showed a worn patch which caused the voltage to jump.

FS

#27 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:59 PM

Well, I need a new TPS so I'll have to get one on order soon. With my luck, I'm sure it won't fix this but I guess we will see. Tricky to read volts of it while in car as the connector is completely sealed. I'd hate to have to cut into it and/or probe the wires for fear of corrosion later.

Having an assistant press pedal with my head over the throttle body might be a good thing to do. Could I do it myself by pushing on the linkage in the engine bay?

#28 genpop

genpop

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:13 PM

"Having an assistant press pedal with my head over the throttle body might be a good thing to do. Could I do it myself by pushing on the linkage in the engine bay?"

If the car has no gas pedal switch, then yes.

I remeber you have the newer one so it doesn't have this switch. Put on safety goggles at least!

#29 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 05:26 PM

Correct, my car is a 94 without the throttle switch. Good. Yes, I will wear safetly glasses. Don't need a face full of feul:-)

#30 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 31 August 2017 - 08:06 PM

You won't be getting your face that close and you'll see what I mean. Could be tricky getting a TPS, most places were out of stock when I bought mine

FS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users