151 replies to this topic

#1 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 10:36 PM

Hi All,   A very long wait to not only own, but to tackle a Mini restoration.  My Anglophile daughter stole my life long dream.  So I made the deal that if she truly helped me with the restoration, she can have the car.  We purchased the Min nearly 2 years ago and imported from England to Texas.  I will attempt to share start to finish on the project, therefore what better way than to start with by showing the Mini coming "home"

The first challenge was actually picking up the Mini at the Houston Docks.  I rented a standard U-haul car trailer, but what I failed to know what that the ramps were tied hard to the trailer.  In other words, when I pulled the ramps out, I could not move them inward to adjust for the width of the mini.  Therefore I had to drive the mini up on to the trailer such that one side of tires were barely on the edge of the ramp.  The folks at the dock were of no help whatsoever.  After white-knuckling it and several attempt, we got it on the trailer. 

Just leaving the Port down in Houston Texas after tracking the Mini across the pond.

Arriving home.

I have been gaining knowledge from TMF and many of you.  I hope that I can live up to your standards and attention to detail while producing a respectable classic.  I still don't know the exact model, but it's a 1982 1000 Morris Mini and quite basic.

The second challenge I had was getting the Texas Title.  While I was told and believed the Mini that I was importing was directly from England, I learned that the title of the car was from the Netherlands - Already learned a great deal from mistakes made over the entire importation transaction.

Post-restoration pictures of how we received the Mini.

#2 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:23 PM

We (my daughter Waverli and I) have started the restoration, but I must start at the beginning for my own record keeping.  A few general pictures of how the Mini looked upon arrival.   You will see that my anglophile daughter has stacked her claim... 

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.JPG   92.88K   7 downloads
  • Attached File  2.JPG   102.93K   2 downloads
  • Attached File  3.JPG   99.68K   3 downloads
  • Attached File  4.JPG   86.14K   6 downloads
  • Attached File  5.JPG   59.96K   3 downloads
  • Attached File  6.JPG   76.67K   1 downloads
  • Attached File  7.JPG   68.39K   1 downloads
  • Attached File  8.JPG   70.44K   3 downloads
  • Attached File  9.JPG   85.03K   15 downloads

#3 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Local Club: Northwest Casual Classics

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:25 PM

The gurlz got taste :D

#4 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:49 PM

Day 1:

We pulled the interior out finding some respectable rust in the corners of the floor panel.  We then pulled the rear side glass out (easy enough).  Tackling the door removal turned out to be my first bit of a challenge.  The blue Haynes manual that I have is not up to par and near useless at this point.  I'm sure it will be helpful at some point.  After I found the nuts to the door hinges on the inside of the wheel well, I then discovered that 4-5 of the 8 nuts were rounded off and I didn't have any type of extractor tools.  Had to go purchase a 'Grip Tite' socket set, specifically a 5/16 in size which removed the rounded nuts with ease - totally recommend Grip Tite!!   The first day was exciting as the hands-on learning curve has now begun.   I have 50 million questions already that may be so basic to the TMF folk.  I guess I'll tackle them one at a time as we work our way through this restoration.  Mind you, I am new to automotive anything, especially restoration.  Last year I did replace the engine in our 2004 Chevy Suburban so my confidence is up.   Cheers to Day 1!! 

Attached Files

#5 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:50 PM

The gurlz got taste :D

She will love you for that.... 

#6 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:54 PM

By the way.. if anyone happens to read this thread and can tell me more about my Mini by looking at the pictures, I would greatly appreciate it.  Is it a Mini City or ???   My VIN # is different than all the charts and tables I have found via TMF and google, therefore I've been unsuccessful in learning any history.  The car came with 'Cooper' decals, but I know it's no where near a Cooper anything.

#7 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,802 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:09 AM

By the way.. if anyone happens to read this thread and can tell me more about my Mini by looking at the pictures, I would greatly appreciate it.  Is it a Mini City or ???   My VIN # is different than all the charts and tables I have found via TMF and google, therefore I've been unsuccessful in learning any history.  The car came with 'Cooper' decals, but I know it's no where near a Cooper anything.

In 1982 the Mini City had the traditional centre speedo dash, while the 1000HL had the Clubman style dash with speedo in front of the driver. The HL also had the steering wheel as fitted to yours. Your front seats look like they are out of a later Mini Mayfair but the door cards are not matching Mayfair type. I think your Mini probably started life as a Mini 1000HL and has been swapped & upgraded with various parts over the years as is very common in the world of Minis.

#8 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 02:04 PM

[quote name="mab01uk" post="3491997" timestamp="1503907779"][quote name="Mini Waco" post="3491973" timestamp="1503878060"]

In 1982 the Mini City had the traditional centre speedo dash, while the 1000HL had the Clubman style dash with speedo in front of the driver. The HL also had the steering wheel as fitted to yours. Your front seats look like they are out of a later Mini Mayfair but the door cards are not matching Mayfair type. I think your Mini probably started life as a Mini 1000HL and has been swapped & upgraded with various parts over the years as is very common in the world of Minis.[/quote]

Thanks for that info Mab!! I looked up the HL and found the specs, but I still have no clue what HL may stand for. I plan to keep the 998 engine, but tear it down and rebuild it with only small upgrades

#9 panky

panky

• Members
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 04:33 PM

High Line, a bit of upmarket trim added, usually different seats :D

#10 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 05:03 PM

High Line, a bit of upmarket trim added, usually different seats :D

Thanks mate!!

#11 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 10:08 PM

My daughter's first oil drain, alternator and starter removal.  We have now removed everything from the engine and ready to pull.  We also finally got the passenger door off and all the glass out.  The toughest part of the entire ordeal was removing that dang pin holding the gear selector rod to the transmission.  I think I need to order that Mini Spares tool for this pin and special thanks to Petrol for guiding me through how the selector linkage comes off.  Petrol has been fantastic support..  Making good progress.

Attached Files

#12 panky

panky

• Members
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 10:38 PM

Yes that pin can be a pain to get out but now you've done it no need for a special tool - where's the fun in that :D

I think your daughter needs some Union Flag overalls ;D

#13 minimans

minimans

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 11:27 PM

Nice looking mini and not very crusty at all for an import car! Whats your plans for the bodywork? Love the Malamute by the way if it's anything like mine it will be as dirty as you after a day in the garage!!

Tika

Attached File  IMG_0332.JPG   54.53K   1 downloads

#14 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:39 AM

Yes that pin can be a pain to get out but now you've done it no need for a special tool - where's the fun in that :D

I think your daughter needs some Union Flag overalls ;D

You're absolutely right, but she says she would worry about messing them up...   as for the tool.. I have another restoration behind this one so it may yet come in handy.

#15 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:47 AM

Nice looking mini and not very crusty at all for an import car! Whats your plans for the bodywork? Love the Malamute by the way if it's anything like mine it will be as dirty as you after a day in the garage!!

Tika

Hey Tika..  love your Mal too.  Most people around central Texas think he's a wolf.  Our boy Meeko is rather clean. It's been our girl Mals that loved to romp.  Perhaps it's still too early to tell, but yes I think the shell is in fair condition.  Should have it up on a rotisserie in the next week or two and then I will be able to fully investigate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users