151 replies to this topic

#16 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 03:19 AM

Doing a little catch up on previous work...  Waverli and I prepped the engine to be removed.  We then had only a few items still attached..  drive shafts, speedometer cable and dog bone looking tie rod.  We both learned how to remove the wheel hubs and pop out ball joints (never have done that before).  Let me just say that we struggled until we got the correct tools (impact gun with 1 5/16 socket and pickle fork).  The correct tools made the tasks ever so easy.  Then, unless I misinterpreted the Haynes manual incorrectly, I hooked the engine hoist up to the strap on the engine head...  BAD IDEA..  it worked, but only by a miracle I think...  won't ever do that again.  Waverli is now working on her own car, but the one picture was taken 6-7 years ago when she helped my brother-n-law on his '67 chevy..   The mini is nearly empty...

Lessons learned:

- not to pickup engine by strap on head

- How to use a Pickle fork

- That Impact guns with the correct sockets are amazingly fabulous

- more hands-on mini experience

Attached Files

#17 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 03:21 AM

Nice looking mini and not very crusty at all for an import car! Whats your plans for the bodywork? Love the Malamute by the way if it's anything like mine it will be as dirty as you after a day in the garage!!

Tika

attachicon.gifIMG_0332.JPG

By the way.. we were just in your area not too long ago on our first trip to San Fran... .  glad to see other State side Mini lovers

#18 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 03:26 AM

Then because of Hurricane Harvey and the rain we were getting (kind've like good ole' England weather perhaps), we closed the garage door and started removing the dash....  didn't get terribly far...

Attached Files

#19 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Local Club: Northwest Casual Classics

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:55 AM

Another Mini????

The lifting brackets attach to two head studs not the rocker cover bolts. It's nice and secure when the brackets are in the right place.

SAJ5iBx.jpg?1

#20 Shep76S

Shep76S

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Local Club: L&SMOC

Posted 30 August 2017 - 10:21 AM

Looks like someone has spent some time in Norfolk judging by the Norwich football club flag.

#21 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 11:12 AM

Another Mini????

The lifting brackets attach to two head studs not the rocker cover bolts. It's nice and secure when the brackets are in the right place.

SAJ5iBx.jpg?1

Thanks Panky...  that lesson could have been semi-disastrous.. 

#22 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 11:14 AM

Looks like someone has spent some time in Norfolk judging by the Norwich football club flag.

yes..  grew up near Norwich so it's kind've in the blood still.  Was just there a month ago and didn't see any classic minis on the road - a tad disappointing. 

#23 g111mds

g111mds

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 11:16 AM

nice project :) . shell doesn't look too bad in the pictures.

#24 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 30 August 2017 - 01:49 PM

Looks like you're raising a proper gearhead there! Well done. 

In her sophomore year in college we bought a VW Beetle for my daughter and spent the summer fixing it up at my place in Sandy Eggo, then drove it 4000 miles across the country, visiting friends and family along the way, to her school in Savannah, Ga. The lessons she learned workiing on her car have served her all her life.......

Where in Texas are you located? I know quite a few Mini owners in your state, it always helps to have a few contacts around in case you need something.....

Also, you can join us on RestorationMini dot com, many knowledgeable and capable Mini guys there (the forum is based in Tulsa) to if you need some help or just to bounce ideas off of......

Welcome to TMF too! 

#25 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 05:14 PM

nice project :) . shell doesn't look too bad in the pictures.

th

Think you're right g111mds had no true clue being my first mini, but after seeing other restoration photos itooam starting to believe the shell is in good shape

#26 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 05:24 PM

Looks like you're raising a proper gearhead there! Well done. 

In her sophomore year in college we bought a VW Beetle for my daughter and spent the summer fixing it up at my place in Sandy Eggo, then drove it 4000 miles across the country, visiting friends and family along the way, to her school in Savannah, Ga. The lessons she learned workiing on her car have served her all her life.......

Where in Texas are you located? I know quite a few Mini owners in your state, it always helps to have a few contacts around in case you need something.....

Also, you can join us on RestorationMini dot com, many knowledgeable and capable Mini guys there (the forum is based in Tulsa) to if you need some help or just to bounce ideas off of......

Welcome to TMF too!

Thanks Magneto and I would be most happy to find anyone in the states with the same classic mini interest I have heard of a few outside of Texas. I am near dead center of Texas directly between Austin and Dallas - essentailly Waco TX.

Have seen a few parent-child restorations and I hope we are able to continue together as you and your daughter have done.

I will go look up restorationmini and join, thank you.

#27 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 05:50 PM

It's great to see the girls getting in there getting their hands dirty.

I've never understood why we don't see more women mechanics

#28 JakeJakeJake

JakeJakeJake

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:47 PM

could have told you it's not a UK mini from the steering wheel, its on the passenger side!

#29 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:27 PM

could have told you it's not a UK mini from the steering wheel, its on the passenger side!

Yes,  I was led to believe a US service man purchased the car with the intention of bringing him home.  Which was believable since my family lived over there while in the Air Force... 

#30 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:40 PM

Took a break from the car to focus a bit on the rotisserie since that will be my next task after cleaning out the shell.  After being unsuccessful with attempts of reaching a UK rotisserie manufacture, I sought out what was available here in the State.  Ended up making a good trade for my new rotisserie..  The only bit that I'm not happy with are the attachment arms.  The arms were canted upward which I don't understand.  This was my first opportunity to actually work with metal by modifying the arms and making them straight.  My honest to God first metal work..so I'm learning which tools work the best for particular jobs.  So many lessons to learn on this project.  I don't have a welder yet so I found a friend to help..  he has an awesome restoration going on too.... 

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users