151 replies to this topic

#46 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 01:17 AM

I managed to get one of the trumpets and cones out - no thanks to the Sykes Pickavant tool.  Once i had the upper arm out, I managed to get a pry bar in with a lot of force.  Eventually worked the trumpet free of the cone.  Upon inspection, I couldn't find any threads in either the cone or the trumpet.  I wanted to check the Sykes tool to see if I had selected the correct metric threaded rod (vs imperial threaded rod).  I couldn't find any threads, but instead poured a mound of dirt out of the trumpet.  Scratching my head here as I seriously don't know how the Sykes Pickavant tool is suppose to work.  I would greatly appreciate any education that could be offered.  The other cone and trumpet assembly fell down in the cavity and is wobbling free.  It's much harder to pry the two apart now.  I'll get it eventually.  These cones/trumpets have now become by toughest battle.. even with the engine out and easy access.

Attached Files

#47 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Local Club: Northwest Casual Classics

Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:55 AM

There's supposed to be a threaded nut to match the compressor welded to the inside of the rubber spring to accept the compression tool, looks like yours has rotted out

#48 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 11:56 AM

There's supposed to be a threaded nut to match the compressor welded to the inside of the rubber spring to accept the compression tool, looks like yours has rotted out

thanks Panky.. I believe I will be removing the frame before trying to extract the other trumpet/cone assembly.

#49 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 03:18 AM

The front subframe is out.  Still have to remove the L/H trumpet/cone assembly, but I consider this a milestone with my first Mini project ever.  Just a small since of satisfaction :proud: .  I now turn focus to the rear suspension and brakes.

Attached Files

#50 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 07:00 AM

You are getting along fast. I am so envious. May do a bit tonight and then should get some done tomorrow too.

Are you restoring or modifying as you go? Are you changing colour or spec much?

#51 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:23 AM

You are getting along fast. I am so envious. May do a bit tonight and then should get some done tomorrow too.

Are you restoring or modifying as you go? Are you changing colour or spec much?

Hey 73MKiii..  Because I'm in a learning mode, I am not modifying anything just yet, but will be.    Unfortunately the end result will not be spec at all.  Starting with the color, it will be a bright red.  Then I will turn it into a Cooper "Look-a-Like" which is the tough part currently because I need to figure out everything now so I know where to add a hole in the body before painting.   Will my seats need different mounting frames, therefore new holes?  Radio antenna (shark fin) in the roof hole?  Do I want side markers on the wings like the newer cars, therefore holes in the wings, if I go with a second fuel tank, will that require a hole, etc.. etc..  I need to do a lot of research before I paint.  Then too, I don't have many minis to go look at to get ideas of what I want.  I will keep the stock engine with only a stage 1 or 2 kit.  I would love an older mini that is left stock, but that will have to remain a dream for now. 

#52 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:07 PM

Well sure that it is going to be amazing. I will keep following your progress.

#53 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 01:30 AM

Well sure that it is going to be amazing. I will keep following your progress.

Hey 73MK..   An absolute awesome thread is:  http://www.theminifo...d-bolt-rebuild/

This guy, Pete, is outstanding and does an incredible job on all his cars.  I'm following / studying this one intently and thought you may also be interested.  If the link does not work, look up the thread

"Mini Cooper 998 Screamer Nut And Bolt Rebuild"   It took me days to get through it...  and I need to start over.

#54 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 03:34 AM

The only thing I did today was take better picture of the empty engine bay with the steering rack still in place.  According to our weather men, Fall starts tomorrow.  Based on today, it feels as though summer is still alive and kicking.  That would be 37.2 C. Hope my mini enjoys the heat.... 

Attached Files

#55 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 02:00 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I picked that thread up 2 years ago and have been following it ever since. Sonikk4's threads all worth readingProject Erm is one, Paddy and the Red one the other two. One of the admins on here. Ben_O also has a great thread though not done much for a year or two.

#56 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 22 September 2017 - 02:02 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I picked that thread up 2 years ago and have been following it ever since. Sonikk4's threads all worth readingProject Erm is one, Paddy and the Red one the other two. One of the admins on here. Ben_O also has a great thread though not done much for a year or two.

If you look at Ben O's threads for customer cars you'll see he's done a lot (just not on his)

#57 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 02:03 PM

Yeah I am aware it is his personal thread that has some great info in. This is one of the work threads

http://www.theminifo...rage/?p=3333220

Think his own is a Mini 25 anniversary edition one.

http://www.theminifo...uild/?p=2790562

This is the one

Edited by 73MkIII, 22 September 2017 - 04:56 PM.

#58 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 22 September 2017 - 06:51 PM

Mini Waco, no A/C in your garage/shop? One of the best things I did a number of years ago was add a large (25K BTU) window style A/C with heater, it allows me to work in my shop when the temp and humidity get crazy like this. Cost was reasonable (about $600) but I did have to run a 220V line on a 30A breaker from the panel to run it,. Still, worthwhile tho as I also use that for my genset input when we lose power after a storm.

We're having the same heat/humidity (90° and

90% humidity yesterday!) here in Kansas.....

#59 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 08:59 PM

Mini Waco, no A/C in your garage/shop? One of the best things I did a number of years ago was add a large (25K BTU) window style A/C with heater, it allows me to work in my shop when the temp and humidity get crazy like this. Cost was reasonable (about $600) but I did have to run a 220V line on a 30A breaker from the panel to run it,. Still, worthwhile tho as I also use that for my genset input when we lose power after a storm.

We're having the same heat/humidity (90° and

90% humidity yesterday!) here in Kansas.....

Actually when I built my shop originally, yes, I had an a/c unit for our dogs.  Then my wife came home from work to raise our girls and the dogs went inside.  I never used the unit again.  That was 18-19 yrs ago.  I may be able to get it up and running again.  I don't mind the heat too much though.

#60 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 09:00 PM

Yeah I am aware it is his personal thread that has some great info in. This is one of the work threads

http://www.theminifo...rage/?p=3333220

Think his own is a Mini 25 anniversary edition one.

http://www.theminifo...uild/?p=2790562

This is the one

Thanks for the other link 73MK... I'll definitely check them out as I need all the help I can get.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users