#61 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 04:25 AM

duplicate.. sorry.. 

Edited by Mini Waco, 23 September 2017 - 04:30 AM.

#62 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 04:27 AM

Managed to get the Rear Subframe out with only two small challenges.  While I thought removing the emergency brake line was going easy, for whatever reason, the R/H side would not pull through.  Had to scratch my head a little on that one.  Then by accident, I lifted the pivot arm which seemed to free the brake line.  Therefore I put a jack under the pivot arm and wha-la..  the emergency brake line pulled through.  The second challenge was that I couldn't exactly figure out the connection of the brake line where it goes through the sub-frame.  I took me about 30 minutes to figure that out.  I was unable to spin the small length brake line out so I had to remove the entire brake junction where it attaches to the frame. 

Order of work:

- Removed the shocks

- Emergency brake line disconnected and pulled through the subframe

- Pulled the battery cable through the subframe

- Disconnected the brake lines and removed them from the car

- Thought I had to remove the pivot arm that holds the hub, but then couldn't quite figure out how to remove it from the frame.

- Then I determined that I could remove the frame w pivot arm attached.

Lessons learned..  always wear googles.. laying under the car and looking up. all kinds of rust/dirt fell in my eyes.. 

A little satisfaction of job complete and the shell is now sitting on a dolly nearly 100% empty.  I now feel rather accomplished and have learned a great deal.  I am beginning to understand so many posts and articles I've read.  I know I've only scratched the surface, but I feel as though I know my Mini now....  Going to my first All British Car Show on Sunday.. I hope to see some Minis there.

Attached Files

Edited by Mini Waco, 23 September 2017 - 04:32 AM.

#63 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 01:51 AM

Milestone with a sense of accomplishment..  I now have a rolling shell although there are a few bits and pieces yet to be removed.

Attached Files

#64 ckneller321

ckneller321

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:20 AM

Loving the annotated photos! This is a great and informative build diary you're compiling here

#65 MrBounce

MrBounce

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 10:34 AM

This is a great strip and rebuild thread  :thumbsup: I just wish I had as much spare space as you do!!  :w00t:

#66 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 12:48 PM

This is a great strip and rebuild thread  :thumbsup: I just wish I had as much spare space as you do!!  :w00t:

thanks MrBounce..

Loving the annotated photos! This is a great and informative build diary you're compiling here

thanks ckneller.. hopefully my novice skills will still help someone else while at the same time helping my own memory.

#67 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:13 PM

Good point, all those photos will come in handy when it's going back together! Glad to see you're making good progress.

Will you paint it the same color or does your daughter have her own color scheme in mind, since it will be her car?

#68 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:31 PM

Wow. Just Wow.

Can't believe how fast you are going. I am so envious.

Your rest will be done before my car is stripped at this rate.

#69 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 10:19 PM

Good point, all those photos will come in handy when it's going back together! Glad to see you're making good progress.

Will you paint it the same color or does your daughter have her own color scheme in mind, since it will be her car?

Since my daughter has claimed this one and doing a good job (so far) of helping, it will be a bright RED (as visible as possible).  I hope to make it a more modern version of the mini with side markers and now, thanks to seeing Bruce's Mini, a 3rd rear light.  Bruce, any chance you can tell me where you got that one along with the brighter LED bulbs in your rear lights?

#70 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 10:20 PM

Wow. Just Wow.

Can't believe how fast you are going. I am so envious.

Your rest will be done before my car is stripped at this rate.

Oh no..  stripping the car is the easy part.  Now I have to learn how to remove rust and work on an engine.  All clean up next.. 

#71 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 10:25 PM

Haven't done much today because I chose to go to an All British Car Show an hour south of my location.  I was hoping to see and get ideas for what I want on my mini.  Thanks to a gentlemen I met on another forum, I did learn a few things about the differences between various years of minis.  Being nowhere near a Mini rally in England, there were only 7 Minis.  To my surprise, they were all R/H steering.  I had a good time as it was nice seeing these Minis together.. there were two '65 cars there..  a Mini and a Wolseley..  The white one ('88 Austin Mini) in the picture was one of the cleanest inside and out.  by the way,  every car was represented from Aston Martin to Lotus to Bentley to MG to TRV, etc..  the best were the Minis !!!

Attached Files

Edited by Mini Waco, 24 September 2017 - 10:26 PM.

#72 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 25 September 2017 - 07:05 AM

Haven't done much today because I chose to go to an All British Car Show an hour south of my location.  I was hoping to see and get ideas for what I want on my mini.  Thanks to a gentlemen I met on another forum, I did learn a few things about the differences between various years of minis.  Being nowhere near a Mini rally in England, there were only 7 Minis.  To my surprise, they were all R/H steering.  I had a good time as it was nice seeing these Minis together.. there were two '65 cars there..  a Mini and a Wolseley..  The white one ('88 Austin Mini) in the picture was one of the cleanest inside and out.  by the way,  every car was represented from Aston Martin to Lotus to Bentley to MG to TRV, etc..  the best were the Minis !!!

Hopefully you'll increase it to eight Mini's next year.

#73 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:29 AM

Hopefully you'll increase it to eight Mini's next year.

I hope you're right Northernpower...  :proud:

#74 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 25 September 2017 - 02:52 PM

I assume it was the one at Round Rock?

#75 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 05:20 PM

Just finished reading Petrol's screamer thread up to date and noticed you crop up on there 3 years ago Waco. Took you a while to find your project then? I've been on here 2 years watching, had the car but was just psyching myself up to get on with it. Need to get after it again but working solid for next 2 weeks which makes me sad......

Edited by 73MkIII, 25 September 2017 - 07:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users