151 replies to this topic

#91 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:38 PM

Rotisserie Woes..  I knew for sure that today would be the day that I would get the shell successfully mounted to the rotisserie.. NOT!!   Spending from sun up to 5:30 before I gave up to go mow the grass (before my wife pelted me for having a knee high yard).  After it all, I even got sun burned from being out in the sun all blasted day - the sun totally zaps your energy too.   It was definitely a 2 steps forward,  1 1/2 steps backward and I'm only a little closer.   I have come to believe that I will need a gusset type support beam just to help keep the shell level with the rotisserie arms because the shell wants to sag downward.  Therefore I must design an addition to the attachment scheme.  While it's not a failure, it was simply a frustrating day.

Attached Files

#92 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:07 AM

That’s a shame. All the jigs I have seen here work like that not sure why you have an issue with the shell sagging, not commonly reported here before shell cutting that is. Strange. Hope you get it sorted soon. Are you going to need to brace the gram anyway? That may change the need for jig modification maybe?

#93 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 11:22 AM

That’s a shame. All the jigs I have seen here work like that not sure why you have an issue with the shell sagging, not commonly reported here before shell cutting that is. Strange. Hope you get it sorted soon. Are you going to need to brace the gram anyway? That may change the need for jig modification maybe?

Help me out with definitions please. . "gram"?  Does this refer to bracing the shell making sure it does not twist?  If so, I've been told by a few people that I trust that the I will not need to brace the shell unless I begin moving body panels.  I will figure this thing out..  determined.

#94 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 12:06 PM

Sorry it was autocorrect should read frame. Just said that because you said you had flex issues. I will be doing some cutting on mine to remove rot and a bad repair so will probably brace it first before I start cutting.

Edited by 73MkIII, 02 October 2017 - 12:07 PM.

#95 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 01:50 PM

Looked at the jig I was looking at buying and it has the braces to the lower subbie mounts you have proposed. I hadn’t noticed them until you posted your problem.

#96 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 03:32 PM

Thanks 73MK, perhaps I'm on the right track then. How is the rear attached?

#97 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 03:41 PM

No photos of that so guess it’s just bolted to the subframe mounts I will see if I can find out for you.

#98 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 07:38 PM

I think you need to attach it between damper mounts and parcel shelf, a bit like this: Attached File  images (2).jpg   10.5K   15 downloads

#99 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 07:50 PM

beat me to it.

This video shows it better there is a large frame in the boot

https://youtu.be/4xVz9FXamTo

Edited by 73MkIII, 02 October 2017 - 08:37 PM.

#100 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:09 PM

I think you need to attach it between damper mounts and parcel shelf, a bit like this: images (2).jpg

Thanks Mac. How is it attached to the parcel shelf? Is there a beam running along the bottom of the shelf and bolted through/to the shelf itself?

#101 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:38 PM

Edited post with the video showing front and back attachment

#102 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 10:11 AM

beat me to it.

As in the video, you can see a beam across the length of the underside of the shelf and bolted with spreader plates so they don't pull thru and spread the load.

#103 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 11:33 AM

beat me to it.

As in the video, you can see a beam across the length of the underside of the shelf and bolted with spreader plates so they don't pull thru and spread the load.

Thanks guys...   it looks as though I have more steel work ahead of me.  So far I've made everything to be disassembled rather than having large heavy steel sections to store when finished.  I have a plan in mind already so now just to get the material and work the plan.  I greatly appreciate your help MacGyver and 73MK !!!

#104 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 09:14 PM

Had to a slight detour with the Mini Restoration.  Things that DO NOT mix here in TEXAS..  hard rain & oily asphalt...result..  hydroplane.  The downside is that I've been distracted from the Mini.  The upside, I get a little body work experience and general car repair experience.  I have managed to procure the body parts I need while at the same time meeting some interesting folk.  While I'm at it, I figure I will test my learning curve with painting as well.

Attached Files

#105 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 10:06 PM

Had to a slight detour with the Mini Restoration.  Things that DO NOT mix here in TEXAS..  hard rain & oily asphalt...result..  hydroplane.  The downside is that I've been distracted from the Mini.  The upside, I get a little body work experience and general car repair experience.  I have managed to procure the body parts I need while at the same time meeting some interesting folk.  While I'm at it, I figure I will test my learning curve with painting as well.

Wondered where you had gone.

Ouch.

Nice car shame about that dent but sure it will polish out.

Put in some practice for the car that matters.

Seriously though it’s only metal as long as everyone is ok.?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users