Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 10:33 PM

Wondered where you had gone.

Ouch.

Nice car shame about that dent but sure it will polish out.

Put in some practice for the car that matters.

Seriously though it’s only metal as long as everyone is ok.?

Thanks 73MK..  everyone is well..just a gut wrenching challenge.   Then because this is my daily driver, it kind've messes our daily routine.  Of course the added expense detracts from the Mini .. big sigh.  Meanwhile, I've purchased the added steel to provide better rotisserie support.  I must go slow with my daily driver project as I want to rebuild her to an even better condition (not just repair).  I'm definitely learning new things..  I appreciate the concern...

#107 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 12:16 AM

I was close to a shell, yet I realized there were many small items yet to be removed:   Vent grilles on left and right dash (still can't get one out as the screws are welded in place), door strikes/latches, hand brake and roof liner.  I started to pull the roof liner and found that the liner is somehow dependent on these rods that run across.  I did not wish to tug too hard so can anyone tell me whether or not these rods merely pull out of holes in the roof or ??   Thanks

Attached Files

#108 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 07:47 AM

I was close to a shell, yet I realized there were many small items yet to be removed:   Vent grilles on left and right dash (still can't get one out as the screws are welded in place), door strikes/latches, hand brake and roof liner.  I started to pull the roof liner and found that the liner is somehow dependent on these rods that run across.  I did not wish to tug too hard so can anyone tell me whether or not these rods merely pull out of holes in the roof or ??   Thanks

They are flexible and just too long for the gap. Start at the back release the headlining at the edges first and then bend the pole forwards in the middle of the roof and pull the end back to get the end out from under the gutter

#109 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 11:32 AM

Thanks 73.. I did exactly that last night although I started at the front.  I broke the first red tipped bar, but the other came out with a little prying.  I did find that by twisting the entire bar downward, it helped.  Thanks..   

#110 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 10:10 PM

Have slowed down as I still have much work to do on my daily driver.  Yet I did manage to get the engine on the engine stand and I've cut up some steel tubing for added rotisserie support.

Attached Files

#111 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 11:31 PM

Managed to get a little work done on the rotisserie support design.  Cleaned off the area (somewhat) on the fwd firewall where the support will attach to the shell.  Match drilled a couple .13 inch thk plates and mocked up the support beam.  I would have made more progress, but I'm at the mercy of a friend and his welder.  I have decided to use 3M 08115 bond adhesive so that I can bond everything in place and take my assembly to my friend for welding.  This will help mitigate any mis-match I might have otherwise.  At least a little progress was made...

Attached Files

#112 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 01:32 AM

I actually found time to focus on the Mini/rotisserie.  Went over to a friends today who helped spot weld the support structure.  I did a quick check fit, then pulled the front pieces off for final paint.  A step backwards on the boot check fit of the support structure as I was not paying attention when my friend welded.  One of the plates ended up being welded 90 degrees out.. darn it.  I will have to cut that off now and rework it.  A little progress is better than none.  So close to a proper working rotisserie.  I get 4 days off for Thanksgiving next week so perhaps I'll finally spin the shell.  Meanwhile, I've manage to cutaway, clean and prime the new core support on my daily driver as well check fit the new hood/bonnet....a great deal of new experience just in time to get a little practice in for the Mini restoration. 

Attached Files

#113 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 10:04 PM

The front part of the Rotisserie is now fully installed.  After finding that the weight of the shell was causing the entire rotation to be out of balance, I had to add in some gusset supports.  I'm not sure why I painted the support pieces as I'm sure when I blast the shell, I will most likely strip the new paint right off (?)   :gimme:..  Used scrap metal to make large area washers and the gussets ended up fitting nicely.  With future storage in mind, I did my best to make most pieces for disassembly.  Still nervous as I wonder if this will fix the weight sagging issue.  I am going over to a friends tomorrow to correct my mistake on the rear support pieces.  I will then fit check the rear followed by painting.  Anxious to spin the shell...  Mile Stone #1 was to remove everything resulting in a bare shell.  Mile Stone #2 is to get the shell on a working rotisserie... almost there.

Attached Files

Edited by Mini Waco, 18 November 2017 - 10:06 PM.

#114 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 09:51 PM

Semi-Success today in that I fitted the Boot support structure and was able to flip the shell.  I still need to work through trial and error on getting the rotisserie properly balanced.  It took three people to hold the shell while spinning and I know it should be a one person job.  One step closer.. 

Attached Files

#115 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:37 AM

Nice rotisserie! 😎

I think the balance axis at the front needs to be below the headlight centre... Ish... (More or less level with headlight actually.)
Not sure on the rear as I can't see it. 🙄

Edited by MacGyver, 20 November 2017 - 11:40 AM.

#116 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 02:14 PM

Thanks MacGyver,

I believe you are correct, but I have limitations to lowering the pivot point.
- Dimension A defines the hydraulic height (pivot point of entire rotisserie) required just to clear the lower Cross Bar. Based on trial and error, I have raised the pivot point up high enough (11 inches) just to clear upon rotation
- Dimension B is the Fine Tune / Balancing of the T-Bar which mounts to the shell. If I understand the system well enough, the ideal position is for the T to be near centerline with the pivot point, but this is limited by Dimension B as I have it as close as possible.

As Im typing this out, I had an epiphany. I followed the horrible instructions and viewed the typical installation of other similar rotisseries out there. The common install is to have the T-bar upside down as I have it. BUT.. if I rotate the T-Bar 180 degrees so that the T is upright, this will allow me to lower the pivot point another foot or so. While the rotisserie is rated for 3000 lbs, this should not jeopardize the structural integrity because when the shell is upside down in the current arrangement, the T-Bar is upright. I sat in a chair yesterday by the Shell just trying to figure out what I could be doing incorrectly and thought of a couple modifications I could do to the rotisserie, but I think this is the answer (of course I thought that on the support setup too). Well. thanks to your statement MacG. I have my next few days planned out for me.. (when off of work).

sorry.. unable to upload the picture I had with the dimension..  will edit later.. 

Edited by Mini Waco, 20 November 2017 - 02:35 PM.

#117 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 09:49 PM

Success!!  (partly to MacGyver)   Rather than follow the rotisserie instructions (which were lacking at best), I flipped the "T-support' 180 degrees in order to get the pivot point below center line of shell.  In order to achieve this, I had to jack the shell way the heck up there.  I've determined (right or wrong) that this rotisserie was made for larger vehicles as I was still limited to obtaining a perfect balance.  In addition to flipping the T-support 180 degrees, I also had to modify the rotisserie so that I could come close to near leveling between front and back.  I ended up cutting 3 inches off one of the pieces.  End result; found a good / acceptable rotation via handling of one person (yesterday it took 3 people and we all struggled).  The attached link shows my daughter doing a one rotation of the shell.  Granted, I realize that I will not be spinning the shell, but I wanted to achieve ease of rotation by one person.. I have kept detailed notes for future use and/or anybody that borrows the system.  Milestone #2 is now accomplished - see video.

(edited video files to show more of the support structure)

Edited by Mini Waco, 21 November 2017 - 10:54 PM.

#118 Petrol

Petrol

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 10:20 PM

Looks good enough to me.

Top job :thumbsup:

#119 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 10:59 PM

Looks good enough to me.

Top job :thumbsup:

Thanks Pete,  took multiple iterations.  Hopefully the time & effort will pay off when working the shell.

#120 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 11:39 AM

Glad you got it sorted,
😁 seems light enough now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users