Yes... thank you

#122 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 11:00 PM

Now the scary part begins.  I went ahead and took a few pictures of what I assumed to be some of the worst rusted areas.  Then I learned how the wiring was routed and I pulled all wiring.  I learned that there were loads of foam padding stuffed in all the seams.  I will have to research a product to replace this old foam.  Pulled off the headliner foam pads and removed battery cable, brake line and fuel lines.  I then randomly picked a small location for cleaning.  WOW..  the amount of bondo (I think it's bondo) that covered holes and crevices.  It didn't take me too long to uncover what appears to be patch jobs and simple "cover-ups".  Well.. now is when I find out the true condition of the shell.  Then I will have to seek advice from you experienced folk on what is best.. replacement or repair.  Either options will begin my learning curve.  Looks like I'm going to have beautiful weather over the next few days for this archeological dig.

Attached Files

#123 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 12:17 AM

Enjoyed a fabulous day working on the Mini only to come in for a Thanksgiving lunch with my girls and then fell asleep for a couple hours.  Cleaning the bottom panel was therapeutic.  I pulled the rotisserie sideways so that the sun would help me see my work.  While cleaning the bottom panel, I uncovered respectable holes in nearly every corner.  They were largely hidden by wonderfully thick yellow bondo.  Also learned that the entire left side of the floor panel had been replaced in the past due to the spot welding evidence.  another lesson learned was that it helps to degrease before cleaning with scrotch-brite discs.   I got about half of the entire floor panel totally cleaned (minus small rust pits that my discs could not reach).  Final conclusion for the day is that I am going to replace the entire floor panel rather than fight individual holes for repair.  I think in the end for time and money, I will come out ahead with a better product. 

Attached Files

#124 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 03:54 PM

Drove East to see my family for Christmas - 17 hours of driving (one way).  While there, I stopped over to meet a guy who put an Acura 3200cc engine in the back of his '83 Mini..  0 to 60 in 3.6 seconds.  While there and since he has moved into 'power' with more extreme modifications, he had no need for typical suspension parts he had previously purchased from Mini Spares.  Therefore I got a good deal on a near complete suspension setup of parts saving me approx. $250.  I also brought home a bag of clecos that may come in handy during the restoration.  Then just before leaving to head back to Texas, I met a wonderful couple who had a 1964 Austin Cooper tucked away in their shop of Vintage vehicles.  Therefore 2017 ended on a fabulous Mini note...  It's always good to be home...

Attached Files

Edited by Mini Waco, 02 January 2018 - 03:58 PM.

#125 Petrol

Petrol

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 11:30 PM

Your Mini looks par for course, No surprises with the rust.

I'm not really into rear engined mini's but his car looks a quality build. I have driven some mega modified cars of the years... 550 HP in an Astra and it was..... well *******

A car needs to be synergy..... all the parts need to work in harmony, not insane power the chassis can't handle.

Quick story for you.....
My more or less stock 200sx nissan (200 ponies... ish).... Cosworth sierra.... 550 on the dyno.... The 200 left it for dead due to the turbo lag on the Sierra....

It's horses for courses.... The Mini is nippy, not fast.

What's most fun?

#126 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 01:28 PM

Your Mini looks par for course, No surprises with the rust.

I'm not really into rear engined mini's but his car looks a quality build. I have driven some mega modified cars of the years... 550 HP in an Astra and it was..... well *******

A car needs to be synergy..... all the parts need to work in harmony, not insane power the chassis can't handle.

Quick story for you.....
My more or less stock 200sx nissan (200 ponies... ish).... Cosworth sierra.... 550 on the dyno.... The 200 left it for dead due to the turbo lag on the Sierra....

It's horses for courses.... The Mini is nippy, not fast.

What's most fun?

Hey Petrol.. the Mini is more fun... of course.

Edited by Mini Waco, 14 January 2018 - 01:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mini Spares