Photo

Boot Lid Alignment Problem

Best Answer alchall , 03 September 2017 - 11:07 AM

Managed to fix the boot lid problem, application of force did the trick....

mini-739.jpg

I just had to keep at this moving the clamps up and down as I went with the boot seal removed and eventually it pulled straight, I also did knock the bottom corners of the frame out a little with a hammer and between these two actions it now looks pretty good....

mini-734.jpg

mini-735.jpg

mini-736.jpg

It's a bit of a relief that I don't have to start again with the rear panel, this turned out much better than I anticipated when I started on it....

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 alchall

alchall

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 09:02 AM

I think I know the answer to this but thought I'd gather some opinions before I go any further.

I've re-skinned my boot lid which seems to have been successful, it's gone on nice and straight with no ripples, it's very tidy!

However, having come to fitting it to the car it doesn't align correctly down the sides and particularly in the bottom corners (hopefully you can see these images, trying hosting them myself following the photobucket farce)....

Boot%20Fit%201.jpg

The other side is exactly the same, a rear shot, doesn't show the problem as clearly but you can see that otherwise it seems OK....

Boot%20Fit%202.jpg

I did repair the rusty frame but I'm pretty sure the lid isn't the problem, the skin and frame followed the same profile and fit snugly.

Hinges are the correct way around (double checked this, they do say LH and RH inside them), I'm pretty sure they're original and I have fitted the little gaskets which I've bought new.

I've also fitted a brand new seal, which being new means it's a bit tight but it isn't tight at the bottom so that cannot be the problem either.

I think therefore the problem stems from the repair section on the rear panel and I'm going to have to attempt to re-fit it (or replace it, not sure if re-fitting is going to be that simple).

What are peoples thoughts here, do you agree the rear panel repair is the likely source of the problem before I take the grinder to it??

#2 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 11:32 AM

I think it is repair panel alignment but you may be able to jack it with a body repair jack, also may get a better fit by removing gasket from hinge to hinge panel

#3 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 29 August 2017 - 05:04 PM

I ended up applying large amounts of force to my newly reskinned and repaired boot lid. I also changed the complete rear panel from the window down. It did take sometime but got a good fit in the end. Have a look at the Project Paddy link in my signature

#4 alchall

alchall

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:03 PM

I think it is repair panel alignment but you may be able to jack it with a body repair jack, also may get a better fit by removing gasket from hinge to hinge panel

Trouble with ditching the gaskets is I'll move the problem along to the middle, it lines up nicely along the bottom edge between the hinges, may try some brute force before getting the grinder out!

I ended up applying large amounts of force to my newly reskinned and repaired boot lid. I also changed the complete rear panel from the window down. It did take sometime but got a good fit in the end. Have a look at the Project Paddy link in my signature

Thanks Neil, I did give that a bit of a go and it's very stiff, butI'll have a butchers at what you did with Paddy, I was thinking I may need to replace the rear panel with the full lower section  so I get the full boot opening but if you had a similar problem with a complete panel then that may not be the answer....

#5 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 09:27 PM

I did a full panel replacement up to half way up rear pillars and the fit with my original boot lid was fine, I did fit bootlid before spot welding it to boot floor though and jacked it from bulkhead to get good fit then spot welded it,

#6 alchall

alchall

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 01:42 PM

I did a full panel replacement up to half way up rear pillars and the fit with my original boot lid was fine, I did fit bootlid before spot welding it to boot floor though and jacked it from bulkhead to get good fit then spot welded it,

I'm tempted to buy one of those panels, see how well the boot lid lines up to it and if it's good fit it and if not take it back / sell it on. Not cheap but in the grand scheme of things given what I've spent to date and have left to spend it's not going to make a big difference really.

#7 alchall

alchall

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 11:07 AM   Best Answer

Managed to fix the boot lid problem, application of force did the trick....

mini-739.jpg

I just had to keep at this moving the clamps up and down as I went with the boot seal removed and eventually it pulled straight, I also did knock the bottom corners of the frame out a little with a hammer and between these two actions it now looks pretty good....

mini-734.jpg

mini-735.jpg

mini-736.jpg

It's a bit of a relief that I don't have to start again with the rear panel, this turned out much better than I anticipated when I started on it....

Edited by alchall, 03 September 2017 - 11:09 AM.

#8 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,885 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 12:48 PM

Happy days, the application of brute force is what is needed sometime. Its a mini thing. The same applies to the doors as well.

#9 alchall

alchall

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 02:06 PM

Happy days, the application of brute force is what is needed sometime. Its a mini thing. The same applies to the doors as well.

I've learned that this is very true, and I'm also having great fun with the doors too!

Thanks for your help, gave me the confidence to have a bash at applying the brute force technique to the boot lid!

#10 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,885 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 03:06 PM

I've learned that this is very true, and I'm also having great fun with the doors too!

Thanks for your help, gave me the confidence to have a bash at applying the brute force technique to the boot lid!

I will have to refit mine before i paint the car this month. Having applied filler i'm a tad concerned it may have done something to the hinge line. I will look at the end of the week.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users