Sean C

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Local Club: ESMOC

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:04 PM

Hi all,

I've decided to start a project thread on my 1977 mini 1000 (Angus) in hope that I can keep motivated and also seek tips and advice from more experienced members. I've had the car for about 8 years and in the beginning it was more or less my daily driver. I took it off the road 3 years ago as the rot was really starting to take hold and decided that rather than fix it up I'd restore it with new panels. 

The car sat on the drive for 3 years in all weathers and in February 2017 I started it up and drove it in to my garage to begin the restoration. As soon as I started stripping the car I got made redundant from my job and as a result it destroyed my finances. I'm now only getting work through agencies (driving) and sometimes (if i'm lucky) I will get a full weeks work but most of the time it's 2 days here and 3 days there so it's not ideal and makes it difficult to buy panels etc but in 2018 I'm hoping all that will change

Here's Angus

KwogQTX.jpg

uVjn7Ba.jpg

Looking around it the rot is quite bad

Believe it or not but the drivers side wing was actually original however, it did have a repair around the actual headlight which is something I've never seen done to a mini

GRFedKK.jpg

There was a good bit of bubbling on the top of the drivers wing and scuttle corner

5g6qDos.jpg

Which after a wee chap revealed this mess

5MozDkG.jpg

The door step and A post is also rotten

pOA7n95.jpg

CPi77cZ.jpg

Once the wing was off the rot became more evident. Where the big hole is was filled with fibreglass and body filler and god know what else. The closing panel underneath the scuttle was completely shot, in fact it wasn't there!  

QKGVZaw.jpg

Looking at the flitch panel you can see how rotten it is. The old cardboard dash was hiding all this fibreglass filler. In fact the whole inner wing is shot

beRc8K0.jpg

Some evidence of previous repairs to the toeboard/ floor. 

PKaRzuq.jpg

This can't be repaired so instead it will all be renewed

AXg7qbO.jpg

The scuttle is/ was completely original and was filled with filler but underneath the passenger side corner wasn't as bad as I was expecting

aaarK4o.jpg

So this is where I'm currently at. The drivers side inner wing has been removed and I've taken delivery of a new Heritage door step/ A post and complete inner wing. I have also ordered the closing panel for the A post and the hinge stiffener

gQTJuWn.jpg

Anyway, you've probably all fell asleep by now so hopefully I'll have some updates very soon and no doubt lots of questions!

Best regards,

Sean

#2 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Local Club: Northwest Casual Classics

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:40 PM

Plenty to do, will look forward to following your progress.

#3 Sean C

Sean C

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:44 PM

Thanks panky, yeah there's everything to do on this one  :(

#4 blueovalcraig

blueovalcraig

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:54 PM

Look forward to seeing you get on with this.

#5 emale75

emale75

Learner Driver

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 07:32 PM

Best of luck with it! 

#6 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 03 September 2017 - 06:54 AM

Such a nice looking mini and a great year to do. Good luck with the build it looks like it will be a great car once he is all solid again.

#7 Sean C

Sean C

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 11:47 AM

Here it is a few years ago when I took it out a run to the Trossachs run in Scotland

0qqccqf.jpg

NTRQsTh.jpg

#8 g111mds

g111mds

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 09:54 AM

Nice project. Always amazing what you find when you start stripping back and digging about.

#9 Sean C

Sean C

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 09:32 PM

Nice project. Always amazing what you find when you start stripping back and digging about.

Tell me about it, the cost keeps rising :(

#10 g111mds

g111mds

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:38 AM

Tell me about it, the cost keeps rising :(

will all be worth it when its done :)

#11 Sean C

Sean C

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:50 PM

Thought I'd update the thread. 

Not much has really happened however I have purchased a new O/S inner wing, door step complete with A post, hinge panel and A post boxing plate/ closing panel. 

I've also cleaned up the front subframe and welded the turret tops. My idea in welding the turret tops was just to stop water from getting in between the existing welds and also to add a little bit of extra strength.

3Hlv9pC.jpg

The top half of the subframe in zinc primer

1sbMRYF.jpg

I'm keeping my old heavy duty tie bars as they are still in excellent condition so I've cleaned them up and started to prime them. I have a new bush kit and bolts for it so it will effectively be brand new again.

EQfrJ1D.jpg

Finally, I'm thinking of getting this rollover jig so my question is, Has anyone got one and what do you think of it and also what is the length of this as I have a single garage and it's not the biggest so I'd hate to buy it then find out I can't close the door lol

#12 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:05 PM

Following this thread. I am looking at a rollover jig too. Have you found their website? They have all the photos and videos on there at rolloverjigs.com no affiliation but more info on there than on eBay

#13 Sean C

Sean C

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:04 PM

Following this thread. I am looking at a rollover jig too. Have you found their website? They have all the photos and videos on there at rolloverjigs.com no affiliation but more info on there than on eBay

Thanks for that. Just had a look but there is no dimensions of how long it is or how tall it is when the mini is on its side :(

#14 feybrand

feybrand

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 07:18 AM

I've been watching this on Youtube,what are your plans for it ...i quite like the nice simple look it had before the restoration,big arches and flash seats have been done to death.

#15 Sean C

Sean C

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 02:32 PM

I've been watching this on Youtube,what are your plans for it ...i quite like the nice simple look it had before the restoration,big arches and flash seats have been done to death.

You are correct about the big arches and seats and I can confirm that this won't be happening to the car. I do however have a set of group 2 arches and an Italian job style spot light bar but whether I fit them or not is still to be decided. The car will more or less be standard but with a 1275 upgrade and remote central locking. Colour wise, it will most likely be going back to it's original colour which was Vermilion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users