Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,845 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 01 September 2017 - 09:12 PM

Just spotted this morning;-

http://www.businesso...il/like-a-bird/

Noted the low speed limits etc, but they are certainly making a resurgence and I think will only improve over time.

Or crash & burn :D

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,900 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 01 September 2017 - 09:16 PM

At the same time, Moke America faces a challenge on the legal front: It’s currently involved in a court case with another Moke entity, Miami-based Moke USA, over rights to sell Mokes in the U.S., Rome says

could be expensive

#3 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,845 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 09:42 PM

They are talking in terms of $15k USD - given what it is, I feel that's not too bad.

I can't re-build one for that kind of money.

#4 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,823 posts
  • Local Club: Loan wolf

Posted 01 September 2017 - 10:13 PM

I think they need to do a desert rat super charged model.

#5 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 10:23 PM

How do our American cousins always end up buying the rights to our stuff. Michael Jackson will be buying the rights to the beatles next! At least bob monkhouse got the rights to oliver and hardy

#6 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,779 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 02 September 2017 - 07:37 AM

How do our American cousins always end up buying the rights to our stuff. Michael Jackson will be buying the rights to the beatles next! At least bob monkhouse got the rights to oliver and hardy

and Cadbury Chocolate  :(

"the Cadbury business was acquired outright by Kraft, another US company, putting the British chocolate label completely under American ownership in 2010. (And as the fallout over the recent change to the UK version of the Cadbury Creme Egg recipe shows, its American owner—now Mondelez International, a Kraft spinoff headquartered in a suburb of Chicago—doesn’t feel obligated to stick to tradition.)"

https://qz.com/32499...ruining-easter/

Edited by mab01uk, 02 September 2017 - 07:38 AM.

#7 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,845 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 08:24 AM

Cagiva (Motorcycles) in Italy did own the name 'Moke' , but I'm fairly sure the Chinese bought it a few years back. I'd guess those Mokes, being assembled in the US are most likely done from CKD Kits, ex-China.

http://mokeinternational.com/

And now I see this page

http://mokeinternational.com/mokeusa/

I was aware to some degree about the US 'connection' however, I wasn't aware of them being assembled there.

These Mokes are meeting with very polarising reactions over here, most Classic Moke Owners seem to have a chip on their shoulder over them, and others, who are looking for a rag top, to take on special family outings like the idea of them, but they aren't available here - yet.

Personally, I'm keeping a very open mind over them. While I know I would have no interest in an eclectic model, but I'd sure If the opportunity arose for me to inspect and test drive a Petrol model, I'd jump at the chance.

I think it only a matter of time before we see them here.

#8 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 02 September 2017 - 08:55 AM

How have they improved it by sitting the front on struts  :dozing:  Does it also look wider across the bonnet?

I also feel obliged to point out "obligated" is an abomination of our language  :angry:

#9 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 11:37 AM

and Cadbury Chocolate  :(
"the Cadbury business was acquired outright by Kraft, another US company, putting the British chocolate label completely under American ownership in 2010. (And as the fallout over the recent change to the UK version of the Cadbury Creme Egg recipe shows, its American owner—now Mondelez International, a Kraft spinoff headquartered in a suburb of Chicago—doesn’t feel obligated to stick to tradition.)"
https://qz.com/32499...ruining-easter/
Oh don't get me started on that.

#10 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,845 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:41 PM

Here's a review by a Morgan guy (for what ever it's worth)

While the electric types just don't appeal to me, a petrol or diesel one would.

#11 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 01:23 AM

He might have some points there. Here in the US appears to be infatuation with Low Speed Vehicles (LSV's) which are now regulated by the federal and local governments. I think that the whole thing started with the communities that had a golf course. People started to use their golf carts to get around the community, then nearby shopping and so on. So the rules came in; must be licensed, have insurance, lights, wipers, seat belts, mirrors, must not exceed 25mph, can only be driven on roads with a 35 mph speed limit or less and the driver must have a driver's license. So, you ended up with a very expensive golf cart with no emissions, nor road safety certifications. As a matter of fact, here in Florida you can legally modify a golf cart to meet the standards and you fill out an affidavit stating so and you have an LSV.

There are still many that ignore the rules and drive their golf carts on the roads though. Eventually the law will catch up with them.

When you look at these Mokes, they are the ultimate LSV and not a glorified golf cart. If they can sell them for that price which is in the ball park compared to a glorified golf cart, they are on to something.

Just to give you an idea how popular these LSV's are in our area, for the Christmas Season, every year there is night parade with this things all lit up of over 25 of these things.

Now, don't ask how people dare to share the roads in these things with all of our huge pick up trucks. It is scary enough in the Mini. :ph34r:

Edited by xrocketengineer, 22 September 2017 - 01:27 AM.

#12 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,845 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 08:29 PM

Quite interesting that your local laws have this added flexibility. And for most car owners, a 25 or 35 mph speed limit would no doubt cover 95% + of the mileage they do in their town runner anyway, so makes a lot of sense.

I see these selling fairly well actually. If they were available here (and they maybe) in a petrol of diesel version, I'd have a serious look at one and likely pick it up. There's a number of things about this model that do appeal to me over the 'original', top of that list is it is just that tad bit bigger. Right from my first introduction to the Moke, while we've always gotten by, I've always felt they are about 2" too narrow. The seats are mashed together and are not particularly wide seat to start with, so when traveling two up, it's not especially comfortable, more something you get used to, if you can (my missus actually put her back out a couple of weekends ago from a 8 hour return trip we did mainly because of this).

This guy who does this review does well illustrate many of the great (cheeky) features of living with a Moke, one of the first being how easy it is to pick up the ladies :D

I also note that going off that clip, it appears that they are not just assembled in the US (from CKD Kits) but actually made there. I know the parent company is China based.

#13 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,845 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 09:17 PM

Now, don't ask how people dare to share the roads in these things with all of our huge pick up trucks. It is scary enough in the Mini. :ph34r:

I find with mine - which is a little smaller than this model - to be ~ OK ~ up against the bigger vehicles on the roads. Here's the Missus's Moke up against one of 'your' Pick-ups

u6Xk767.jpg

The Moke would almost have fit in the back seat of that monster !

The 'ones' that do make me grip the wheel that bit tighter are these beauties

lxxNQvx.jpg

Road Trains. They put them together up to 7 trailers. I think even the Pick-up guys give these Kings of the Road a wide berth.

#14 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:56 PM

Well, is not the size of the vehicle only. It is that we have the worst drivers of the USA here in Florida two years in a row and all of them drive pick ups and are drunk! :lol:  And wait until they legalize the recreational marijuana next! We will need to drive tanks and learn "offensive" driving for protection.

http://miami.cbsloca...-worst-drivers/

#15 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 24 September 2017 - 12:35 PM

I saw 2 in the Bahamas airport last November

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users