• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 10 September 2017 - 06:45 PM

The noise from a straight-cut gear set is not so bad as the top gear is 1:1 so it is quiet.

It's the SC drop gears which are so horrible and unless being used in competition it is wise to wear ear plugs. Not so bad with a crash-helmet on.

#17 Zippster1977

Zippster1977

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:22 PM

All massively helpful ! I've double clutched for a while for now and that's a get around for now and noticed changing up at Lower speeds is another get around

#18 Orange-Phantom

Orange-Phantom

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:09 PM

Yes double declutching is the way forward until you get it rebuilt.  I have to do it anyways as I have no synchro's on any gears as I've got an old style dogbox.  Once you get the hang of it, it becomes second nature.

On the point on drop gears being really noisy and bad and having to wear ear plugs, I run straight cut drop gears (Jack Knight) and my brother runs them too (MED).  Mine and my brothers are not noisy at all!  My gearbox makes more noise and even then it's not that loud despite being straight cut.

I fear Cooperman has managed to get a set of drop gears with a tooth profile that produces a lot of noise.

#19 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:31 PM

On the point on drop gears being really noisy and bad and having to wear ear plugs, I run straight cut drop gears (Jack Knight) and my brother runs them too (MED).  Mine and my brothers are not noisy at all!  My gearbox makes more noise and even then it's not that loud despite being straight cut.

I fear Cooperman has managed to get a set of drop gears with a tooth profile that produces a lot of noise.

Interesting to read you have some quiet ones, I didn't think they existed. I've just replaced mine with helical ones because the straight cuts were so noisy it took the enjoyment out of driving it. There's an owner near me with straight cuts and I can hear his coming down the road from a long way off. Goodness knows what it sounds like in the car.

#20 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:20 PM

There may be quiet SC drops, but I've never found any. Mine are horrible and, as they are really just for making small overall gearing adjustments for racing without taking the engine out, I can't see the point now. I fitted them to my rally car when the helical gears stripped after 30 rallies, but now I wish I had simply changed the helical ones after, say, 20 events as a precaution. I only want 1:1 ratio drops and will change back to helicals when next the engine comes out.

Horrible, nasty and pointless things, but OK for racing where a crash helmet is worn.

#21 Orange-Phantom

Orange-Phantom

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:59 PM

Interesting to read you have some quiet ones, I didn't think they existed. I've just replaced mine with helical ones because the straight cuts were so noisy it took the enjoyment out of driving it. There's an owner near me with straight cuts and I can hear his coming down the road from a long way off. Goodness knows what it sounds like in the car.

Yeah mine don't make that much noise at all.  In 4th (1:1) it's pretty quiet for a full straight cut setup.  It's exactly the same in my brothers full race Mini.

​I have heard and sat in cars with really loud drop gears and I wouldn't want to put up with that noise for a period of time.

#22 DeanP

DeanP

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:51 PM

Can I ask if the OP has eliminated the stalling issue from the other thread?

#23 Zippster1977

Zippster1977

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 09:14 PM

Thanks all. After some tuning all is semi good . Stalling stopped , new battery ( maybe my initial hunch was right ) , running good . Still the crunch of gears , double clutching helps but to be honest , just gaining confidence and experience with the car seems to have helped . It was dormant for about 9 years , not sure that helped . Thanks so much !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users