11 replies to this topic

#1 Steve8274

Steve8274

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 10:20 PM

Quick question. I used this method to remove rust from parts when I was building my kit car with superb results.
Can I use it to clean rust on my mini suspension bits. Was thinking top and bottom arms and the swivel joint. Obviously all parts would be having new rubber and bearings afterwards. Also can I put door/boot hinges in to remove the paint and small amount of rust or will it damage/ruin the pins
Thanks

#2 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 12:17 AM

Ideal on suspension parts, as you will be replacing the wearing parts anyway. But I suggest baking immediately afterwards at maximum temperature (over 200 deg C) in an electric oven for 20 minutes or so, as there have been some suggestions that there is a risk of hydrogen embrittlement.  I am not convinced, as the polarity seems to be wrong for that, but better safe than sorry, and it will leave the parts dry and ready for priming.

Plating, on the other hand, carries a very high risk of hydrogen embrittlement and must never be used on stressed parts unless using a controlled and approved process by a professional plating company, not a mere chrome and brightwork business.

I suspect that it is not appropriate for hinges, at least the external type, as differing metals are involved and you may get corrosion in strange places. Probably ok on all-steel hinges.

The process does not remove paint, but there are chemical strippers and thermal or mechanical methods that do.

#3 minifreek1

minifreek1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.O.C

Posted 03 September 2017 - 08:18 AM

It won't remove the paint from the hinges, I wouldn't have thought it would damage the pins.

#4 Steve8274

Steve8274

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 08:39 AM

Ok great. Thanks for the info.
Am I ok to take the old bearings out first before I do the dip or should I leave them in till afterwards

#5 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 09:50 AM

I soak rusty bits in neat white vinegar for a while keeping an eye on it

you will be surprised at the results

after a quick brush off wash with water & blow dry with airline immediately

seems to work better with awkward shapes in a plastic bag as less vinegar used

also playing with phosphating / Parkerizing then oiling after - I used to do it on cams years ago where I worked

#6 roughroader

roughroader

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:58 AM

I not sure, but some say that this device would work best if the part where it was installed was full submerge in water.

#7 skoughi

skoughi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts
  • Local Club: Shetland classic car club

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:39 PM

Where I work we supply the local fishing fleet with all their wire ropes, fishing nets etc and all other stuff that they require. We also sell 5l drums of hydrochloric acid which is used to clean off rust streaks off the outside of the fishing boats, very good at removing rust but by god it's powerful and dangerous! We also sell drums of phosphoric acid which is not quite so brutal at removing rust so needs to be left a while to soak but does leave a protective coating to prevent rust returning. I've used both these products but was not to keen having drums of it in my garage what with the kids going about. So I tried the vinegar route. Went to a local wholesaler and bought some undiluted vinegar, powerful stuff! I bought 10l worth and filled a bucket with it. Soaking stuff overnight gave good results and I wasn't worried about it being in the garage with the kids. Didn't smell that strong either strangely.

#8 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:02 PM

Have you tried Coke, must be the original, not sugar free, or even worse, Pepsi? You may be surprised. Try it on copper too, by leaving a well dulled with age coin in it for a few days.

It will not matter if the Coke is past its sell-by date or has lost its fizz.

#9 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,898 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:04 PM

cleaning out a Weber where the accelerator pump had stuck.

v5sY88X.jpg

#10 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 12:23 PM

I have never had the confidence to try Coke on delicate ali castings. Maybe I should give it a try, quickly, next time. I don't have any worries about steel or copper, where it has never done any harm.

One of the active ingredients is phosphoric acid, which in very dilute form is good for avoiding stomach problems in third world countries. Apparently those who drink Coke do well, while those that drink Pepsi have their existing stomach problems made worse. Make of that what you will, and preferably don't drink too much of either. Coke, at least, rots teeth...

I have just had a look around at what other liquids I have in the house, and think that Highland Spring water, but definitely not Evian, is sufficiently pure to top up the battery. Might be good for making the coolant mix too, if you live in a hard water area.

#11 Mervyn

Mervyn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 03:34 PM

I use what I used to call Muriatic acid

Its hydrochloric acid and easily available by buying brick cleaner. (Check the label)

Don't get it in your eyes or it will be the last thing you ever see.

Here's a backplate before and after an overnight soak

Merv

Attached Files

#12 roughroader

roughroader

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 04:56 AM

Muriatic acid

The Same acid used in pool cleaning right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users