7 replies to this topic

#1 R1van

R1van

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 02:16 PM

As title has anyone brought these doors ??

What is the quality of them ??

How is the fit ??

Price wise as they are on offer at £250 ish each is that ok

#2 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:17 PM

They will devalue the car, which is reversible by fitting proper steel doors later, if available. But far more importantly, you are required to tell your insurance company, who may decline insurance or charge a substantial extra premium, which over a few years will wipe out any initial saving, so please be sure to check with your insurers before doing anything.

And, you lose almost all of the admittedly fairly minimal side impact protection. If hit in the side by an idiot in the favourite idiot's car, a stupid, bloated SUV at 10 mph, that may mean the difference between bruised ribs and a slow and very painful death. I know a bit about that because I designed part of the instrumentation used at one time in the side impact test dummies.

#3 mattmiglia

mattmiglia

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:08 PM

I think Mini Sport use Arc Angels for there fg stuff...i can't comment on the mk1 doors but I've got a pair of mk3 from arc and they are really well made and fit lovely

#4 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:41 PM

I once saw the result of a Volvo 123 rally car which had been fitted with GRP doors to save weight. There was a heavy side impact and this resulted in the death of the co-driver. No door bars were fitted back then.

The only time I would even consider a GRP door would be for racing where a full FIA cage with door bars was fitted.

If lighter weight doors are required it is better and safer to lighten the standard steel doors by fitting polycarbonate windows and cutting away some of the inner door panel.

#5 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 15 September 2017 - 04:20 PM

They will devalue the car, which is reversible by fitting proper steel doors later, if available. But far more importantly, you are required to tell your insurance company, who may decline insurance or charge a substantial extra premium, which over a few years will wipe out any initial saving, so please be sure to check with your insurers before doing anything.

And, you lose almost all of the admittedly fairly minimal side impact protection. If hit in the side by an idiot in the favourite idiot's car, a stupid, bloated SUV at 10 mph, that may mean the difference between bruised ribs and a slow and very painful death. I know a bit about that because I designed part of the instrumentation used at one time in the side impact test dummies.

And here we are again demeaning other drivers who happen to have a SUV this time. 

Just once tiger could you not reply to a post without demeaning other people etc etc etc.

#6 mattmiglia

mattmiglia

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:04 PM

I sometimes wonder if it's done on purpose as a kind of victor Meldrew parody

#7 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 12:50 PM

I never suggested that ALL SUV drivers are idiots. Some are, and sadly they are the ones most likely to be noticed and most likely to hit you in the side at what should be a survivable speed. Inattentive and distracted mothers, still in dressing gowns, dropping their brats (often only one brat, and as I have seen more than once, not strapped in and standing on the front seat!) off at school. It is a well-known and documented phenomenon. I used to have to pass several schools in close proximity and had a number of very near misses. Others are deliberately driven aggressively by the yahoo element of society, because they are bigger, and terrify others more than whatever they used to drive. But many are driven by sensible people too, and I did not suggest that it was not so. But in many parts of London at least, if any vehicle hits you it is almost certain to be a SUV, bus or taxi, because there doesn't seem to be much else on the road.

As for the vehicles themselves, the stylists have in some cases gone to a lot of trouble to make them look ugly, uncouth  and aggressive. They indeed may be responsible for attracting the wrong kind of driver. Those vehicles are stupid. Why do they exist? Compare then to the original proper SUV, the early Range Rover, a thing of beauty invariably driven by considerate middle class people, often country gentry, when they were new, and you may see what I mean. Or the original Land Rover, purely functional with no unnecessary bloat, driven almost exclusively by people who really needed a Land Rover, not a weapon of mass destruction.

#8 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 16 September 2017 - 01:04 PM

The problem is the way you come across, you appear to tar all owners with the same brush. Was there any need to mention it to start with??

My son has bought a SUV as it's an ideal vehicle for where he lives. It's as big as they get being a late model Discovery. It sucks up pot holes, it's cavernous interior lets him load tool boxes etc etc. He is also a mini owner and is fully aware of other drivers on the road.

So think before you post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users