52 replies to this topic

#16 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 06:21 AM

Opens up a whole new world of possibilities for engine swaps with that extra space!

#17 Archived2

Archived2

One Carb Or Two?

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 08:38 AM

Rightly or wrongly I can't see cars that have been modified this much being able to be used on the road for much longer, even if the dvla (or whoever) don't try and kill them off I can see insurance companies being scared to go there.
It's a bit like not needing a CBT to ride a moped if you passed your car test before a certain year (97?), legally that's fine but you can't get insured so you still can't legally ride on the road!

This car will Never be legally on the rd. I've gone through multiple Iva tests and understand the book well enough to say that with 100% certainty.

The drive characteristics would make this dangerous out on the rd anyway.

Whoever buys this needs to understand that this would only ever be a bit of show fun... trailered out on the open rd and maybe driven a little on private show land.

I'm amazed at the amount of money it's at, I think it will just be the usual time wasting bids etc

I love the car for it's fun etc, but like any modified minis there's the lovers and the haters. The closer you get to 50/50 then you know you're on the right track of pushing that envelope.

The insurance side of this car would be a nightmare and rightly so

#18 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 09 September 2017 - 08:58 AM

Rightly or wrongly I can't see cars that have been modified this much being able to be used on the road for much longer, even if the dvla (or whoever) don't try and kill them off I can see insurance companies being scared to go there.
It's a bit like not needing a CBT to ride a moped if you passed your car test before a certain year (97?), legally that's fine but you can't get insured so you still can't legally ride on the road!

This car will Never be legally on the rd. I've gone through multiple Iva tests and understand the book well enough to say that with 100% certainty.

Whoever buys this needs to understand that this would only ever be a bit of show fun... trailered out on the open rd and maybe driven a little on private show land.

I'm amazed at the amount of money it's at, I think it will just be the usual time wasting bids etc

I love the car for it's fun etc, but like any modified minis there's the lovers and the haters. The closer you get to 50/50 then you know you're on the right track of pushing that envelope.

Last owner change in June this year and currently MOT'd.

#19 Archived2

Archived2

One Carb Or Two?

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 09:24 AM

Mot and Iva are worlds apart.

The car isn't even finished and the front screen has never had the cover pulled off the plastic.
It's an unfinished car

Edited by minihobbymini, 27 May 2018 - 08:16 AM.

#20 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 09:53 AM

Mot and Iva are worlds apart.

The steering isn't even finished and the front screen has never had the cover pulled off the plastic.
It's an unfinished car

This shouldnt have an mot. Smells fishy
I agree but the fact is someone will buy it believing an MOT is the panacea to all it's problems. Alternatively they won't see it as having any problems.

#21 Archived2

Archived2

One Carb Or Two?

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 12:43 PM

Someone's going to catch a cold on this one aren't they :(

#22 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 12:57 PM

Someone's going to catch a cold on this one aren't they :(

Yes they will, no doubt it'll turn up at one of the shows.

#23 leadly

leadly

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • Local Club: [] D.C.M.O.C []

Posted 09 September 2017 - 01:07 PM

I thought this was a really well done Photoshop job when I saw it on Facebook yesterday......

But it appears to be an actual thing.....each to their own.

#24 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 01:34 PM

Mot'd? jeez! Lol

#25 Laurie

Laurie

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Local Club: GMOC

Posted 09 September 2017 - 02:33 PM

I pmed them and asked if it's road legal and vosa tested, tbf to them they were honest and said "no"

#26 Laurie

Laurie

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Local Club: GMOC

Posted 09 September 2017 - 02:47 PM

Also I'm pretty sure that the mot will be for one of the donor cars - whichever one bore that number plate

#27 Archived2

Archived2

One Carb Or Two?

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 02:50 PM

Isn't it an offence to sell an unroadworthy vehicle? There's no way this has a legitimate mot.

I feel this can of worms in my hand is about to pop open :(

Edited by minihobbymini, 09 September 2017 - 02:53 PM.

#28 Archived2

Archived2

One Carb Or Two?

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 02:53 PM

Also I'm pretty sure that the mot will be for one of the donor cars - whichever one bore that number plate

I've found some history and it's not one car widened but it's actually two cars and the main donor was a lot older

IF I can verify this 100% I'll post more but for now take as pinch of salt.

Edited by minihobbymini, 10 September 2017 - 01:47 PM.

#29 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 03:57 PM

There's nothing to say you can't sell a vehicle that's not road worthy.

#30 Archived2

Archived2

One Carb Or Two?

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 07:20 PM

There's nothing to say you can't sell a vehicle that's not road worthy.

Not so... it's the requirement for Iva etc and the cars identity question that makes it illegal.

https://swercots-par... Businesses.pdf

It should be sold as the sum of parts. The car no longer resembles the vehicle it's presented as. I'm old hat with Iva law and the dvla.

This is being sold as a D reg mini. That's misrepresentation of this vehicle as it no longer retains the five points of eight that must come from an unaltered classic or monocoque.

I would post all Iva laws too but it's long and protracted. It's a minefield.

A lot of the law applies to trade but the above also applies to private sales in this instance.

Also if you want to see this law in action then post a non running unroadworthy car on gumtree and they will remove it and tell you it has to be listed in parts... this is why.

eBay can take action but don't unless it's reported and that specific rep knows this law inside and out. Funny as eBay owns gumtree. I guess it's the whole auction house caveat that they use to circumvent this.

The seller is fully aware this isn't road worthy but is still selling it as a car and not a sum of parts. That's why this causes an issue.

Who buys this will find a minefield if they try to enter this for an Iva test as amature build too as you have to be the builder of of the vehicle or give evidence this was built on your behalf by someone not involved in the production/manufacture of vehicles. Or words to that effect.

This should be yellow as far as a standard punter is concerned

Edited by minihobbymini, 10 September 2017 - 07:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users