One Carb Or Two?

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 07:43 PM

Section 75...

"Altering a vehicle that makes it unroadworthy"

https://www.legislat...8/52/section/75

This 'car' is unroadworthy due to the alterations. It's a radically altered vehicle that requires an individual vehicle inspection.

He won't face prosecution if he takes reasonable steps to ensure the sale of such vehicle would educate the buyer to the fact this should not be used on the rd. (sold as sum of parts)

Edited by minihobbymini, 10 September 2017 - 07:49 PM.

#32 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 08:50 PM

If that law was abided to we'd lose a lot of nice old cars, I'd put anything with a flip front or deseamed body in the pile to start with, lol.

#33 Archived2

Archived2

One Carb Or Two?

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 08:57 PM

If that law was abided to we'd lose a lot of nice old cars, I'd put anything with a flip front or deseamed body in the pile to start with, lol.

True - ish but Please understand the specifics with this case. However ignorance of the law isn't accepted as an excuse when you get your collar felt.

Sell a car thats been deseamed without the caveat of parts etc etc and an occupant dies in an accident where otherwise they would have survived then.... smoke a turd time

This goes for a lot of mods on cars. A guy was sent to prison after an accident in his land rover. He had altered the suspension and bob tailed the chassis. Children were hurt.

I'm not saying this guy shouldn't sell what he has. You pulled me on a comment of the legality of sale so I explained it further. That's all.

There's ways and means of selling this and what he's doing isn't the correct way and someone will pay a price. As a group of mini enthusiasts we should make each other aware of the issues surrounding this stuff.
Just like you do with the sale of logbooks?

Edited by minihobbymini, 10 September 2017 - 09:05 PM.

#34 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:25 AM

A log book and tags can never be put back on the road but something like an old Austin seven race car could.

#35 Archived2

Archived2

One Carb Or Two?

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:55 AM

A log book and tags can never be put back on the road but something like an old Austin seven race car could.

Not applicable but insightful none the less

#36 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 12:42 PM

It is applicable because like this they've been massively modified to the point your saying selling it would be illegal as it would never pass an iva but you could buy one, repair and rebuild the chassis A frame and put it all back to a normal,safe and legal condition.

#37 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 11 September 2017 - 12:46 PM

Its up to nearly £2000 now so someone doesn't know or doesn't care.

#38 Laurie

Laurie

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Local Club: GMOC

Posted 11 September 2017 - 12:51 PM

I'd probably say the former: doesn't know, personally.
I can see no reason why *anyone* would bid for an unroadworthy car

Edit: surely the (doubt very much if it's successful) vosa testing on its own is going to cost a bomb

Edited by Laurie, 11 September 2017 - 12:53 PM.

#39 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 02:33 PM

I'd turn up, remove the sunroof and the 1275 then ask the local scrappy to collect what's left on the sellers drive :-)

#40 Laurie

Laurie

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 02:35 PM

I'd turn up, remove the sunroof and the 1275 then ask the local scrappy to collect what's left on the sellers drive :-)

For nearly £2k with 2 days to go, you're easy ;)

#41 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 04:47 PM

Who's responsible for it if someone finishes it off and takes it for an MOT? It's just a 998 mini at the moment, should/would the tester fail it?

#42 Laurie

Laurie

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 04:51 PM

Who's responsible for it if someone finishes it off and takes it for an MOT? It's just a 998 mini at the moment, should/would the tester fail it?

It needs to be declared road legal by vosa before an mot surely? And IF it passes (which I doubt), it'll also be a unclassified Q plate as well wouldn't it? (Like Edd China's 'comedy' sofa)

#43 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:01 PM

It'd probably snap in half on the way to the test anyway!

#44 Archived2

Archived2

One Carb Or Two?

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:50 PM

It is applicable because like this they've been massively modified to the point your saying selling it would be illegal as it would never pass an iva but you could buy one, repair and rebuild the chassis A frame and put it all back to a normal,safe and legal condition.

Ahh I see, thought you meant the other way lol

#45 Archived2

Archived2

One Carb Or Two?

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:53 PM

It needs to be declared road legal by vosa before an mot surely? And IF it passes (which I doubt), it'll also be a unclassified Q plate as well wouldn't it? (Like Edd China's 'comedy' sofa)

Mot doesn't tie directly in with the IVA as such so yes you're correct. My cars that have been inspected and given a Q plate were allowed the same three year mot exemption as any other new car.
Yes this would be a Q reg as it's a radically altered vehicle built from parts where some or all of which weren't new.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users