DJC MINI

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Local Club: Sheffield Mini Club

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:29 PM

Hi,

My exhaust on my classic Mini Cooper sport is popping between 1000 and 2000 revs on the overrun. I don't know what make the exhaust is. I was wondering if it was running too rich or does the ecu sort that out. Also I don't get any smoke from the exhaust. It only does it at low revs. It this just a characteristic of the exhaust?

Thanks,

Daniel

#2 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:31 PM

Hi,

My exhaust on my classic Mini Cooper sport is popping between 1000 and 2000 revs on the overrun. I don't know what make the exhaust is. I was wondering if it was running too rich or does the ecu sort that out. Also I don't get any smoke from the exhaust. It only does it at low revs. It this just a characteristic of the exhaust?

Thanks,

Daniel

Sometimes this can be caused by an air leak in one of the joints.

#3 DJC MINI

DJC MINI

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:34 PM

Hi,
Thanks,
Daniel

Ok so how do I go about checking this. Is their a guide on here

#4 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:38 PM

Hi,
Thanks,
Daniel

You need to be able to get under it, for this you'll need access to axle stands and or ramps to safely work under it. Do you have some?

#5 DJC MINI

DJC MINI

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:40 PM

Hi,
Thanks,
Daniel

You need to be able to get under it, for this you'll need access to axle stands and or ramps to safely work under it. Do you have some?

Yes

#6 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:48 PM

Ok so put it up on the ramps and stands and start it up. Just let it tick over and carefully feel with your hand for any gasses escaping from the joint. This will be confirmed by an area of black soot around the leak. Make sure you just let it tick over, if you rev it the fast flowing gasses will not bleed out through the leaking area they'll simply rush down the pipe.

Please make sure you're safe under it.

#7 DJC MINI

DJC MINI

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:57 PM

Ok so put it up on the ramps and stands and start it up. Just let it tick over and carefully feel with your hand for any gasses escaping from the joint. This will be confirmed by an area of black soot around the leak. Make sure you just let it tick over, if you rev it the fast flowing gasses will not bleed out through the leaking area they'll simply rush down the pipe.
Please make sure you're safe under it.

Thanks I'll try that.

#8 Zach P-D

Zach P-D

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:45 PM

If i remember correctly, I seem to recall Sprocket mentioning that on overrun a injection mini will cut fuel, so it naturally burbles a little on the overrun.. Don't quote me on that but thats what I think i remember haha. 
My 95 SPI has always burbled and popped a little bit between 1 and 2k on the overrun and it isn't leaking as I fixed that about a month ago.

#9 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • 2,661 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:45 PM

Yes it cuts fuel on overrun remember the function of introducing fuel injection was to reach the emissions targets set.

FS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users