13 replies to this topic

#1 R32Egor

R32Egor

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:59 PM

Suspension recommendations - Always a tricky and emotional discussion!!!!

I am restoring my 1997 MPI sportspack. I was thinking about using a coil replacement kit but after reading all of the comments here I think i will stick with rubber!

What I would like to know is a better than original suspension setup that I could do with the donuts.

This can include -

13 x 7 wheels instead of the standard

camber and caster changes but not extreme

I would like the ride height to be lower than standard (changeable)

Going to using kad lightened swing arms and will be looking to save suspension weight elsewhere as well.

The goal is for a 90HP fast road mini with maybe (much) later conversion to supercharged (110hp)

Obviously going to be uprating the brakes and while the car is under restoration then should look at everything

As there as so many components out there it would be good to get some input. :D  :D

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:12 PM

thoughts.

good.

bad wheel size for ride quality grip and speed.

suspension set up as needed with adjustable parts.

HiLos to set ride height

KAD swing arms money that is not needed to be spent and would do better going elsewhere. like wheel size.

brakes SuperFins rear and alloy 4 pots and solid discs. pad material personal choice.

#3 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:49 PM

Stick with rubber cones.  I inherited some Minitastic coils on my mini.  I've just changed it all to hilos and rubber cones and the difference is like night and day!  The ride is much plusher and forgiving and all the rattles and squeaks have disappeared :-)

#4 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:47 PM

I run 13's on mine because I like the look of them but they're a real handfull when I'm pressing on. They follow every whiteline in the road and they tramline and because of the reduced sidewall they lose out on a lot in terms of comfort, but hey, I'm a slave to fashion :D . Unless you want 13's because of the look I'd fit 12's, they're a great compromise between looks and handling.

#5 R32Egor

R32Egor

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:10 PM

I run 13's on mine because I like the look of them but they're a real handfull when I'm pressing on. They follow every whiteline in the road and they tramline and because of the reduced sidewall they lose out on a lot in terms of comfort, but hey, I'm a slave to fashion :D . Unless you want 13's because of the look I'd fit 12's, they're a great compromise between looks and handling.

I will run 13s on the mpi- this was original and I like the look. So the standard 13 x 6 s better than the 7 s?

#6 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:46 PM

I will run 13s on the mpi- this was original and I like the look. So the standard 13 x 6 s better than the 7 s?

I only have experience of the 7's so I don't know. The more sidewall depth you have the better the roadholding and comfort. I just like the look.

xv6TJJA.jpg

#7 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:52 PM

The best wheel size for ride comfort and suspension is the 10". The reason for this is that the higher sidewall of the 10" wheel can take more of the suspension's work and this keeps the wheel in better contact with the road. Also, the width of a 10" wheel allows a narrower tyre than a 13" which gives better contact pressure, so the road-holding is better too. A Mini never needs more than a 165 section width on a road car and, in fact, a 145 section can be better in wet or slippery conditions.

The key to mini road-holding is the settings of the rear suspension. They are well documented elsewhere on here if you do a search.

#8 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:02 PM

just remembered your location.

what are the rules about changing parts on your car? like Germany or like the UK?

#9 R32Egor

R32Egor

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:07 AM

what are the rules about changing parts on your car? like Germany or like the UK?

Like Germany - everything has to be passed by the TÜV and written in the paperwork which costs also - I also forgot this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like i am "stuck" with 13 x 6's.

So are there any good suspension setups for these wheels? 

I am thinking - 

red dot rubbers

hi-lows/adjusta ride?

Gaz short adjustables all round

Should i have some other adjustable items for camber/caster? - probably going to need to if i lower the car slightly.

#10 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:45 AM

Like Germany - everything has to be passed by the TÜV and written in the paperwork which costs also - I also forgot this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am thinking - 

red dot rubbers

hi-lows/adjusta ride?

Should i have some other adjustable items for camber/caster? - probably going to need to if i lower the car slightly.

Probably not what you want to hear but here goes, If you're wanting the car to handle well and you're on 13's you don't want to lower it; if anything you'll need to raise it slightly, also, you don't need as much negative camber. You certainly won't want shorter shocks.

If on the other hand you're going for a look, go with what makes you feel good. I've set the HI Lows on mine back to a fairly standard ride height after realising the lowered one was not good, I still have the1.5 neg bottom arms (but feel that's a little too much) and I've learnt to anticipate its handling foibles. Its your car just enjoy it. The biggest improvement was setting up the rear suspension on 4 wheel alignment, Spend some money on adjustable rear suspension components such as these http://minispares.co...px|Back to shop in my opinion worth every penny.

Cooperman is the man to contact for suspension set up.

#11 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:56 AM

I am thinking - 

red dot rubbers

hi-lows/adjusta ride?

you will not find anything adjustable with TUV also anything that look out of the normal will draw attention. EG the KAD rear arm. No TUV.

really you need to be asking on an Austrian Mini forum in regards to these type of Modifications as they will know what can be done.

things like the none adjustable bottom arms which change the camber should go through with out issues as they look standard. as would Modified rear arm brackets.

I know many Mini clubs in Germany have all the info about what can be done with no problems. and I know Companies like Limora have got papers done for some none standard parts.

look like you are going to have to go asking many many questions that we cant help with.

#12 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:31 AM

Would Rover 12" wheels cause a problem? They'd also have been standard equipment, quite possibly on the same model.

#13 AeroNotix

AeroNotix

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 01:41 PM

I only have experience of the 7's so I don't know. The more sidewall depth you have the better the roadholding and comfort. I just like the look.

xv6TJJA.jpg

Lordy that's a lovely mini.

#14 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:27 PM

xv6TJJA.jpg

Lordy that's a lovely mini.
Thanks, it is until you become obsessive about keeping it clean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users