#1 Firept

Firept

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:09 PM

Help if you can. 

I have a 1990 998 Mini and would like to complete the history file for it.

Having just spent 3 years restoring it back to almost factory build state.

I Know the previous 2 owners which gets me back to 2004.

What I would like to know the supplying garage and previous 3 keepers.

Yes I have tried DVLA but they are about as much use as a chocolate fire guard.

The car has lived in the Birmingham B76  Walmley area certainly from 2004 to 2014.

According to the registration plate it has a South London or Brighton registration but that seems to mean little these days.

Reg No is  G544 OGP.

If any one has any info I would appreciate it.

Many Thanks

#2 Swift_General

Swift_General

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:25 PM

My experience of the DVLA was very different. Completed a form V888 for my 1972 MGB and got a list of all keepers since car was new including a copy of the 45 year old form originally used to register it - returned in only about a week (before the money even came out of my account!). What issues did you have?

Edited by Swift_General, 14 September 2017 - 06:35 PM.

#3 Firept

Firept

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:29 PM

I first emailed DVLA and got what I would take as being a reasonable and helpfull reply.  They recommended that that I needed to fill in the form V888 and include a cheque (why in this day and age). So I did this on the 21st August. Today I received a letter that stated:-

"we cannot release the information that you requested . The reason(s) you have provided for wanting the names and addresses of the previous keepers of you vehicle does not meet reasonable criteria that allows us to release this information"

it appears that if I wanted to pursue a keeper over court proceedings or accident or abandon vehicle  I could have it but not as the current owner / keeper.

I am going to try again .

#4 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:40 AM

but did they cash your cheque?

#5 Firept

Firept

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:51 AM

No They sent it back. I've just sent it all off again filling in part 'B' this time, I'll see what happens.

#6 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 19 September 2017 - 02:52 PM

They're usually alrite with giving out abit of information for classic car history, maybe you got a mardy bum at the DVLA dealing with your request?

#7 DeanP

DeanP

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 05:43 PM

I agree with above, my reason was to look the owners up and show them the car.... As my Moggy was first registered in 1953, the one owner would have been about 120 years old. I found one in Wales who was 85 a few years ago and drove it over to her... she was thrilled as she hadn't seen the car for 30 years. It's a great feeling.

#8 Firept

Firept

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:15 PM

I agree,  its great if you can find a previous owner.

I sent photos of the now restored car to the previous owner,  his children who are now all grown up loved it as their mum took them to school in it, it brought back good memories .

Unfortunately their mum died of cancer back in 2007/8 I believe,  hence the car being laid up on their drive until 2014.

We will see what DVLA come back with this time I may be lucky but I am not holding my breath.

#9 Firept

Firept

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 01:15 PM

Argh!!!!

Just had a letter back from DVLA this morning and.....NO I cant have the information. response as before (see above)

So it would appear that If I abandon the car on my next door neighbors front lawn they can then contact DVLA for previous owners details, when they get this I can move the car get the details and they stop prosecution proceedings .

Annoyed.

#10 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 07 October 2017 - 02:43 PM

Very odd......I know many people who have got the full history of their classic car from the DVLA sent back as a photo copy for £5......as long as you own the car there is normally no problem. I guess it depends if a 'jobsworth' opens your letter.

Some hints on asking the DVLA for help here:-

http://mk1-forum.net...php?f=5&t=20000

#11 mister bridger

mister bridger

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 04:03 PM

I wonder if they don't consider 1990 as being old enough to warrant this?

#12 Firept

Firept

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 08:14 PM

Thanks for the comments / info. 

What I find frustrating is that some people have got full history including the registering dealership and the original docs back. So has something changed? I asked that question in my reply to DVLA but it was a politicians answer. 

Is this a recent phenomenon?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users