Photo
- - - - -

To Coil Or Not To Coil?

Best Answer Spider , 14 September 2017 - 10:34 PM

No.

Coil Springs simply don't have the travel in them for stock ride heights.

While there are many springs on the market, they all have this issue. You need around 44 mm of travel (or compression) at the cone.

Here's a rate comparison between rubber cones and the 'Blue Coils' that Mini Spares (and others) sell;-

CFut5Fa.jpg

To get a very similar rate, that will work, just go to Red Spot Cones, however, if the roads are on the rough side, I'd suggest stock cones.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#31 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:15 PM

looking forward to the results. most interesting as to the curve change after the contact is made.

#32 BaronVonchesto

BaronVonchesto

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 02:43 PM

Thanks a lot Moke Spider! I'll go with stock cones then. Saves me some money too.

I don't currently have HiLos so i'd have had to buy them to fit the red spot ones. When I do decide to fit HiLos I'll be sure to get the 90mm ones.

Question, to whom is the red spot cones targetted if not road users? Minispares specifically lists the red spot ones for road use and the yellow spot ones for track use.

#33 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 02:48 PM

Thanks a lot Moke Spider! I'll go with stock cones then. Saves me some money too.

I don't currently have HiLos so i'd have had to buy them to fit the red spot ones. When I do decide to fit HiLos I'll be sure to get the 90mm ones.

Question, to whom is the red spot cones targetted if not road users? Minispares specifically lists the red spot ones for road use and the yellow spot ones for track use.

read the info my thoughts in Brackets

ROAD RALLY RUBBER CONE SPRING - RED SPOT (rally use)

COMPETITION RUBBER CONE SPRING - YELLOW SPOT (track use)

#34 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,935 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 19 September 2017 - 06:45 PM

Yes, the Red types are 'for Road Use'. Many here have them fitted in their Road Minis and like them, I'm probably too old & cranky for the harder ride they give. Certainly, if lowering the ride height, their is an argument for stiff springing any car, as by lowering, there's less useable compression left in the suspension, so to reduce / avoid bottoming out a stiffer spring can help.

On smoother roads, they will improve handling (is the rest of the suspension is set up to suit), but on less smooth / rougher roads, harder springing will reduce handling.

I tend to view them more in the category of Road Use for the guy who also does semi-regular track events.

One thing I have noticed with the Red Sports is they settle little and don't seem to sag over time / use like stock cones do.

#35 Pauljb

Pauljb

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:47 PM

So standard 'van' cones with hilos? Sound good? Larger flange diameter with better all round suspension unit.

#36 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,935 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 12:59 AM

So standard 'van' cones with hilos? Sound good? Larger flange diameter with better all round suspension unit.

Sorry, just to clarify, the standard cones, even those fitted to the Vans are the same, it was the Trumpet that was different.

Yes, I'd suggest standard cones and a Hilo with a flange dia of at least 90 mm.

eg;-

Cone:-  http://www.minispare...|Back to search

Hilo -  http://www.somerford...oducts_id=3236

or

http://www.somerford...roducts_id=3235

(Sorry, but I'm not crazy about these - there's not nearly enough radius in them - http://www.minispare...|Back to search )

Edited by Moke Spider, 20 September 2017 - 01:00 AM.

#37 Pauljb

Pauljb

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:04 AM

Nice one moke. Thanks for the advice!

#38 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:25 AM

also worth mentioning, as it often gets over looked... just swaping your cones for new ones can have have a big effect, they get daamn hard if they are old enough....

by red dots felt so floaty and light compared to the old mk1 cones that came out!!

#39 Pauljb

Pauljb

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:57 AM

Do Somerford minis do a full HiLo kit?? I know mini spares do but wether they are the same or not...

#40 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,935 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:23 AM

There's zillions of them about these days. Somerfords have a few different types.

#41 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:08 AM

Well, i think we have answered the question about whether coil springs are good or not  :D .

#42 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:35 PM

And most people are agreeing at last!

I would just add, following Moke's mention of van trumpets, that a very long time ago one of the types of height adjuster (can't remember if it was a genuine HiLo or not) was available with a different profile on the face that contacts the cone, to give a modified rising rate, for either comfort or handling. It is not beyond the wit of someone with a lathe to trim the knuckle end slightly so that a profiled washer could be introduced at the cone end to achieve the same objective.

#43 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,935 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:38 PM

I just think the Coil guys didn't post.

For record, I'm not 'against' coil springs, it's just that the technology isn't there yet to do what's needed with stock Mini geometry & parts. After all, nearly every other vehicle on the road uses conventional springs of one type or another.

#44 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:14 PM

I just think the Coil guys didn't post.

For record, I'm not 'against' coil springs, it's just that the technology isn't there yet to do what's needed with stock Mini geometry & parts. After all, nearly every other vehicle on the road uses conventional springs of one type or another.
Not in this post maybe but in plenty of others on the same subject. I'm on record as saying I have them and apart from not sinking over time I can't see another reason to fit them. When time and funds allow they'll be no more, deceased, the parrot will be dead.

#45 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:56 PM

sinking over time.   mmm how about one of the most common MOT failures on cars with springs (not minis) is broken springs.  leaf or coil they break. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users