15 replies to this topic

#1 maximas

maximas

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:05 PM

Great news for all mini owners,no mot needed for any car that's 40 years old or older from 1 st may 2018....that's my 1973 pickup mot free from next year..

#2 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:07 PM

Still a way to go on my 1984... Although it hasnt had an MOT since 1999 has the forum ever done a poll for longest time off the road?!

#3 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:23 PM

http://www.theminifo...rical-interest/

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:25 PM

Great news for all mini owners,no mot needed for any car that's 40 years old or older from 1 st may 2018....that's my 1973 pickup mot free from next year..

you see this as a good thing? 

#5 myredmini

myredmini

My Mummy Says It's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • Name: Dan
  • Local Club: BOG MOG

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:52 PM

How is it great news? Stupid if you ask me

#6 Broomer

Broomer

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:11 PM

There is some caveat that modified vehicles will still require a test.
It will be interesting to see what their definition of modified is and how they will control it.

#7 b_sdaddy

b_sdaddy

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 06:16 AM

In Belgium, I've registered my '78 as an "Oldtimer". That's flemish for classic!

You get an 'O' prefix on your numberplate and cannot use your car to drive to and from your place of work. You cannot even drop your kids off at school.

A few years ago, there was mileage restrictions and certain days prohibited. At least now it's seven days a week and unlimited. (just got back from 700km round trip to Goodwood Revival).

BUT, you're MOT free. For me, it's just less hassle with the testers whom have no soft spot for the mini. Very tough on emissions! Anyway, I did it for purely financial reasons: No Tax & insurance about £100.

I was previously a mechanic at Citroen, and the owner still lets me use the facilities when I want.

Regularly, I use their braking test & emissions test equipment to ensure she's in tip-top condition.

But I'm rare. I see hundreds of oldtimers on the road, and looking at them, the owners are profiting from this scheme. Uncared for junk 'just' 25 years old. You can have a relatively 'new' car from 1988 with not a piece of chrome in sight, and drive without a care in the world.

Dangerous.

My neighbour is into Golfs and has several parked in his garden!! The one he drives isn't much better, and he acknowledges that he drives a car that would otherwise fail its' MOT.

Crazy.

#8 Stu1961

Stu1961

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • Local Club: Still Looking

Posted 16 September 2017 - 07:38 AM

Bad day, definitely not good news. Long term implications for quite a few folk with a classic Mini, especially if modified or re constructed post 88. Not to bothered about the MOT bit (I would still get one done even if exempt which mine will be in 3 years time) it's the potential loss of original registration mark to either a 'Q' plate or component age related plate and any rules which will apply because of that.

Just weighing up my options now before going any further with my re build, saving grace for me is I still have the cars original engine sat in my shed which was going to be a future project, originally I was going to sell it so glad I didn't now. For me the downside is I have a stunning (Well I think it is) rebuilt 1293 which runs like a dream sat in my garage which owes me about £2500 and god knows how many hours. Definitely glass half empty at the moment.        

#9 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 07:50 AM

you see this as a good thing? 

In theory it sounds good but reality is cruel.  All cars should be mot d in my opinion.. Some peoples idea of a safe car isn't the same as others. I for one in my ageing self am getting bad for safety.  I have found myself giving friends telling s off for bald tires.

#10 greenwheels

greenwheels

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Fixers

Posted 16 September 2017 - 08:24 AM

I imagine the insurers will want to know if the car they are insuring is roadworthy i.e. an MoT, So no change.

#11 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 09:02 AM

I imagine the insurers will want to know if the car they are insuring is roadworthy i.e. an MoT, So no change.

They haven't with the existing mot exempt cars.

#12 surfblue

surfblue

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 09:27 AM

I have a very well maintained mini, do between 400-500 miles a year and a mechanical engineering background and dont skimp on parts or maintenance, Im thinking "Great!"

As for MOT safety and quality, about 14 years I was driving what was then a 10 year old Ford Sierra as a runabout. I knew it needed anti roll bar bushes and new front discs but I put it in for an MOT anyway basically to see what it failed on so that I could sort it out and re test it. Yep, it passed! icon_e_surprised.gif

#13 mm man

mm man

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 09:37 AM

They haven't with the existing mot exempt cars.

It's been mentioned several times on the classic scooter forums where insurance companies are taking premiums quite happily then when a claim has gone in for classic scooters that is mot exempt they are refusing to pay out because it hasn't got an mot. But the law states it doesn't need one ????
You need to check with your insurance company first

#14 JamesC

JamesC

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:07 AM

This seems to be pretty controversial, don't forget that an MOT does not guarantee that the check points will be safe/road worthy for an entire year. I could drive my car out and have a major issue 1 week later.

Just my thoughts.

#15 StubyDoo

StubyDoo

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:48 AM

From what I read you can elect to have a voluntary MOT.  Would this not help with modified cars/bikes and insurance claims?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users