#1 AndyE

AndyE

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 08:53 AM

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, have owned my Mini City E for many years and gradually updated it over the years, but very few miles in it because I work abroad a lot.

It's a 1985 model with a 1275cc Metro engine.  It was running brilliantly (just been fettled on Peter Baldwin's rolling road as one of the final tasks in bringing it back to regular use).

I ran it for a week or two, Fixed one bad oil leak (gearbox input seal) and ended up with one awkward leak at the front of the engine.  Reading on the forum I decided to try 20/50 oil to see if that would help with the leak.

Changed to Halfords 20/50.  Straight after the change I noticed that the car didn't want to start.  I eventually got it running and it was fine once warmed up.  But since then, once it has cooled right down it won't start.

My question is: Can changing the oil create this problem?  Should I be looking for something else before going back to 10W40?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Andy

#2 surfblue

surfblue

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 09:03 AM

My question is: Can changing the oil create this problem?  Should I be looking for something else before going back to 10W40?

In a word, no. Minis run happily on 20w50, its probably a better oil for them than 10w40.

Check you are getting a spark and that you are getting fuel to the carb first of all.

If in doubt how to do so come back and someone will explain further.

#3 AndyE

AndyE

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 11:48 AM

OK thanks Surfblue.  I'll start running through the checks.

#4 RedRuby

RedRuby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Local Club: No

Posted 16 September 2017 - 11:55 AM

Check that you have not knocked off or loosened any electrical connections round the distributor and coil.

#5 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 03:29 PM

http://www.ebay.co.u...9QAAOSwdpxUYM81

Its not the oil..

I had this problem last week with a customers car, turned out to be this breaking down..

#6 AndyE

AndyE

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 04:10 PM

Thanks everyone,  It's running now after the fuel was stopped off with a pair of mole grips,  spark plugs, cleaned off and the chambers cleared with a blow torch.  Basically it had flooded whilst stood up over the past 3 weeks.

The problem is a bit of a mystery to me as it originally cropped up straight after the oil change.  The car had been starting perfectly before that.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users