134 replies to this topic

#16 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 09:22 PM

Look forward to seeing your progress.   if I may ask.. How did you get the head light bowls out/free?  I have now busted two screw driver tips trying to unscrew as my bowls are rock solid in place.

They were held in by screws one side post repair I think the near side I drilled the rivets that were holding it in place. Haven't checked the manual for which are the original fit. They wouldn't come out until I loosened the beam adjustment screws though.

Followed that success up with 30 minutes this evening to remove a wing mounted wing mirror. Threads were corroded to hell.

#17 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:35 AM

Just had a look through your pictures, its got to be said I do love a mk3 mini. It looks like a fairly solid project as well. Good Luck with the build. I will be keeping an eye on this one.

#18 mk3 Cooper S

mk3 Cooper S

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:07 PM

What are your plans for it?

From experience, it you poke and dig you will find. May be just as valuable to be left original (as long as it is mainly structurally solid).

Lots of unfinished projects out there for folks who are in search on concours cars. In reality they take hours and hours of work and lots of cash.

In my opinion it looks good as it is. Polish and waxoil it service the brakes and engine and use it.

#19 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 02:49 PM

What are your plans for it?

From experience, it you poke and dig you will find. May be just as valuable to be left original (as long as it is mainly structurally solid).

Lots of unfinished projects out there for folks who are in search on concours cars. In reality they take hours and hours of work and lots of cash.

In my opinion it looks good as it is. Polish and waxoil it service the brakes and engine and use it.

I want it to last a fair bit longer so no it won't be concourse level, I will keep as much original as I can and chop out the rust as best as I am able. As with all these cars the rust is always in the bits that matter so it will take as long as it takes and will stay true to when it was bought but not to the point where I worry about every nut and bolt being correct. eventually it will be driven. In the meantime I will learn a load of new skills. Win win as far as I see it.

#20 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:18 PM

AIfGncf.jpg

Managed another spell in the garage. More of the wiring loom removed, Ignition coil, some brake line bits, Air filter/throttle body/carburettor assembly, Washer bottle and couple of the engine supports. There has been a significant oil leak from somewhere as Min's black blood seems an inch thick in places. Metal work still surprisingly solid except for the more and more obvious damage from the shunt to the offside wing. Next job is to get the wiper assembly out and then to start draining fluids.

Edited by 73MkIII, 18 September 2017 - 09:19 PM.

#21 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:30 PM

Outstanding!!!

#22 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 05:02 PM

Still fighting through my engine bay it is gradually looking more sparse in there but taking some time as only managing to find the odd 2 hour stint to attack it. The bolts holding things together seem more corroded than the panels at the moment.

Manifold, windscreen motor, alternator, Oil filter all out front bumper off. Brake master cylinders and fan/radiator assembly halfway out. removed the bulbs and connections from the back of the clocks too. Hoping my bigger sockets turn up soon so I can drain the sump and start on the drive shafts.

slower than even I thought was possible......

3qiEpPd.jpg

Edited by 73MkIII, 22 September 2017 - 05:38 PM.

#23 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Local Club: Not One Worth Mentioning

Posted 22 September 2017 - 05:53 PM

To extend it's life expectancy i'd recommend fitting front arch liners http://www.minispare...|Back to search

....& about 200 gallons of Dinitrol/Bilt Hamber or similar!

With two 'little-uns' you might want to consider fitting rear seat belts. Try & get hold of a copy of Miniworld: Keeping Your Mini Alive 2 -it's got a good guide on this.

#24 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 06:13 PM

To extend it's life expectancy i'd recommend fitting front arch liners http://www.minispare...|Back to search
....& about 200 gallons of Dinitrol/Bilt Hamber or similar!
With two 'little-uns' you might want to consider fitting rear seat belts. Try & get hold of a copy of Miniworld: Keeping Your Mini Alive 2 -it's got a good guide on this.

Thanks for the suggestions. You have summed up my plans quite succinctly. I am currently in the delicate situation of balancing time on the car with time with the kids. If I get the balance wrong then I may end up with no money but lots of time to spend with the car......

#25 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 09:06 PM

...consider fitting rear seat belts. Try & get hold of a copy of Miniworld: Keeping Your Mini Alive 2 -it's got a good guide on this.

sorry to side track the thread.. but may I ask what year the Keeping your Mini Alive 2 was?  I think I have it, but can't locate it.  That was a good tip. 

#26 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 09:31 PM

...consider fitting rear seat belts. Try & get hold of a copy of Miniworld: Keeping Your Mini Alive 2 -it's got a good guide on this.

sorry to side track the thread.. but may I ask what year the Keeping your Mini Alive 2 was?  I think I have it, but can't locate it.  That was a good tip.

No worries Waco. All useful info to track back to in future.

#27 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Local Club: Not One Worth Mentioning

Posted 22 September 2017 - 10:43 PM

You don't know how much trouble i had to go to to find it again!....  OK it was under my chair as i hadn't put it away :-)   -Summer 2001

#28 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 03:41 AM

You don't know how much trouble i had to go to to find it again!....  OK it was under my chair as i hadn't put it away :-)   -Summer 2001

Thanks 73MK and 'Thing...  

#29 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:39 PM

Got a fair bit of time on the car today so feels like amore productive day. radiator out most of the hoses, instruments, seats, fair bit of interior trim and heater all out. glass and rest of trim coming out next, then need to jack it up and start getting the engine out. Need to sort an engine hoist and still waiting on the big sockets needed to get the subframes out.

lots to do......

uR6dWN6.jpg

JLgPT6g.jpg

floor looks reasonable too, front footwells are both rotten due to absent drain bungs and nearside sill looks poor too  :unsure:

#30 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:44 PM

Anyone got some good tips for getting the windscreen out? Rubber is so old and stiff I can't get enough folded back to loosen its grip on the glass. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users