#32 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:44 PM

If it's going to be scrapped then just run around with a Stanley knife

thanks may do that, looking at it it is perishing so probably save me a load of time cutting it out.

#33 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:08 PM

If you are keeping the glass, be careful not to scratch it.
If you just cut in a tiny bit to get it started it will pull off like cheese string... 🙄

Nice deconstruction by the way! Hope you took loads of pictures for future reference. You'll need them, trust me! 😎

Edited by MacGyver, 24 September 2017 - 07:10 PM.

#34 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:12 PM

If you just cut in a tiny bit to get it started it will pull off like cheese string...

Nice deconstruction by the way! Hope you took loads of pictures for future reference. You'll need them, trust me!

i doubt I took enough. It will be interesting getting it back together no doubt.

#35 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:17 PM

If you just cut in a tiny bit to get it started it will pull off like cheese string...

Nice deconstruction by the way! Hope you took loads of pictures for future reference. You'll need them, trust me!

i doubt I took enough. It will be interesting getting it back together no doubt.
Well at least you have TMF to help if you can't remember. 😁

#36 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:21 PM

Well at least you have TMF to help if you can't remember.

think of me as a goldfish. Only the goldfish probably has a better memory..........

what was i saying?

#37 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:05 PM

Not a clue... Who are you? 🤔

#38 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:27 PM

Anyone got some good tips for getting the windscreen out? Rubber is so old and stiff I can't get enough folded back to loosen its grip on the glass. 

Looking good 73MK..  My daughter took our windscreen out and it wasn't a challenge whatsoever.  It appears you have already taken the thin chrome strip out.  We took a razor blade and cut down near the lower edge of the glass.  Once you find the lower edge you can run the razor blade along the glass edge and cut a line out in the rubber seal.  The seam on our glass was at the lower center and once we had a cut line, we simply pulled the small strip of rubber off.  Once the small strip of rubber was removed, we simply pushed on the windscreen from the inside on both sides and it popped right out.. no damage, no nicks.. perfect.

#39 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:44 PM

Thanks guys. I heard about hot water heating to get them back in but that's with new rubber. This rubber seal is older than I am so needs to go I guess. Looking forward to the next bits.

#40 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:49 PM

Grabbed a couple of hours and this happened.

xNOwhxG.jpg

What sick masochist contortionist decided it was a good idea to put split pins in the brake and clutch linkage where they are? Will need some plotting to figure out how to replace those F.ing things...

ZFVBUiy.jpg

5l0RvYg.jpg

steering column and few bits of trim left to remove inside, fuel lines, tank, boot doors, glass, engine and subframes etc. left to deal with.

bottom of the engine bay looks like this though,

AjfWP1B.jpg

Surely all that oil coating and grime is preventing rust.......not looking forward to getting under there to deal with engine mounts.

#41 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:59 PM

Have a question for the experienced members on here. I have not seen drain holes in floor pans on any of the projects I have followed on here. Has someone retrofitted these holes to improve "drainage" or are they an original Mark III feature?

just wondering as probably better of closing them up when I get to the welding.

NU681TW.jpg

quia3da.jpg

They look like "aftermarket" holes to me, just what you need in a mild steel shell  :withstupid:

#42 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Local Club: Northwest Casual Classics

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:38 PM

There should be a couple in each footwell with bungs in them.

Here's the position on my car, it's a '91 so not sure if the position of the holes was changed - it was on the passenger side as they changed the floor pressing over there.

7r0gtWx.jpg

#43 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:23 PM

love seeing the progress !!

#44 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 07:04 AM

[quote name="panky" post="3497709" timestamp="1506379139"]There should be a couple in each footwell with bungs in them.
Here's the position on my car, it's a '91 so not sure if the position of the holes was changed - it was on the passenger side as they changed the floor pressing over there.

3 across each footwell and more up against the heel board. Back End looks solid but the bungs are gone from the front so rusty around them.

#45 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts
  • Local Club: Not One Worth Mentioning

Posted 26 September 2017 - 08:15 AM

The factory fitted floor bungs were metal but they're not available now as far as i know. A lot of people fit rubber bungs (preferably with a bit of sealant).

As for the clutch & brake pedal linkage i replaced the split pin with a thin washer & an R clip. The washer i used was very hard steel (can't remember which) & the R clip is a strong one -not one of those made of recycled cheese (?) manufactured in a land far far away.The R clip is a snug fit (still far easier to remove than a split pin) & positioned with the open end facing down so it can't drop out.

Some don't think this is safe way of doing it -but after many many miles it still shows no noticeable sign of wear, my legs haven't dropped off, & the car hasn't spontaneously combusted.

Edited by Itsaminithing, 26 September 2017 - 08:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users