134 replies to this topic

#91 ga2davt

ga2davt

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:12 PM

Looks fab now the engine is out ! You can really be sure that the car goes back together properly from here on in..

I'm sure the family doesn't understand your crazy obsession with dirty oily rusty metal, rounded nuts and sheared bolts... and spending huge wads on a knackered old tin pot car, but ... neither do I .. you're bonkers!!  Get a 5 year old Fiesta !!    

Edited by ga2davt, 15 October 2017 - 07:13 PM.

#92 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 09:58 PM

Ground to a halt now. Need a cone compressor. Also setting up my minispares account. Now it starts to cost.....

WHATEVER YOU DO.......................don't add it up. That way all will be good!!!.............................Sort of, well maybe, ahh what the hell who am i kidding!!!! ;D  ;D  ;D

But with my TMF discounts just think of all the money I am saving.....

Believe me, every little bit helps and i have used my fair share of discounts hard. I have a folder full of receipts and maybe one day i will add them up..............one day!!!!!!!!

Not sure I want to know. I may back track for receipts already spent but not sure I want to know

#93 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 10:03 PM

you're bonkers!

You are not wrong there

Get a 5 year old Fiesta !!

The forum won’t let me swear but “fluff off” is close.

#94 MasterD78

MasterD78

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 02:06 PM

I agree with a few of the above comments.  DON'T ADD UP THE RECEIPTS!  I probably never will.  LOL!  

#95 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 02:53 PM

I had a quick look this morning when I ordered a ball joint separator of the tuning fork type and another of the hinged screw in type as bolts and lowers are fused with rust.
I didn’t have any power tools (as I have always borrowed them before off my brother and my dad) other than a cordless drill driver. So with drills, angle grinder, welder, imperial sockets and spanners etc etc I am in for £2k before I buy a single part for the car itself. Got to figure out how to keep track without being aware that I am keeping track.

MADNESS! The car was free but will only be worth £2k finished so I am already losing money!!!!

#96 mk3 Cooper S

mk3 Cooper S

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:19 PM

I had a quick look this morning when I ordered a ball joint separator of the tuning fork type and another of the hinged screw in type as bolts and lowers are fused with rust.
I didn’t have any power tools (as I have always borrowed them before off my brother and my dad) other than a cordless drill driver. So with drills, angle grinder, welder, imperial sockets and spanners etc etc I am in for £2k before I buy a single part for the car itself. Got to figure out how to keep track without being aware that I am keeping track.

MADNESS! The car was free but will only be worth £2k finished so I am already losing money!!!!

If you keep it original and do a nice job restoring it I think you estimation may be doubled at worst

Lots of mk3 are asking 6k +

#97 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Local Club: Not One Worth Mentioning

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:02 AM

.... The car was free but will only be worth £2k finished so I am already losing money!!!!

£2k for a restored GENUINE low mileage tax-exempt 1973 Mk3 :huh:

I will pay you £2,001 the day it's finished :-)

You need to re-asses your view of it's true worth.... & get an agreed value insurance policy.

#98 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 12:32 PM

If you keep it original and do a nice job restoring it I think you estimation may be doubled at worst
Lots of mk3 are asking 6k +

.... The car was free but will only be worth £2k finished so I am already losing money!!!!

£2k for a restored GENUINE low mileage tax-exempt 1973 Mk3 :huh:
I will pay you £2,001 the day it's finished :-)

You need to re-asses your view of it's true worth.... & get an agreed value insurance policy.

Thanks for the heads up. No intention to sell it when done but suspect insurance won’t cover true cost. However need to see how I get on first with dealing with the rust spots/holes.

#99 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:27 PM

Off side ball joints separated with the aid of both BFI and a BFH. Near side are corroded to point of being one piece of solid rotten iron if if that makes sense. Rethink in process because BFH didn’t move them a single thread and the seperator and pickle fork have now seen better days.

Not a good day!

#100 mk3 Cooper S

mk3 Cooper S

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:45 PM

Off side ball joints separated with the aid of both BFI and a BFH. Near side are corroded to point of being one piece of solid rotten iron if if that makes sense. Rethink in process because BFH didn’t move them a single thread and the seperator and pickle fork have now seen better days.

Not a good day!

If you are changing the ball joint try some heat.

#101 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Local Club: Northwest Casual Classics

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:19 AM

Try holding a big hammer on one side of the joint and give it a good whack with another hammer from the other side, sometimes this will help breaking the bond,

Or even better hit the joint from both sides simultaneously if you're coordination is good.

Edited by panky, 19 October 2017 - 09:24 AM.

#102 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:48 AM

Tried lump hammers whilst seperator in place and blocked behind all no joy need to get a blowtorch sorted as mine is more suited to the production of a nice Créme Brûlée.

#103 ga2davt

ga2davt

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:28 AM

I'll be following you very soon as the front subbie is coming off

I just ordered some six-point sockets to try to undo the nuts, as the nuts will be rounded by my 12-point (imperial, not metric) sockets.

I've sprayed them with penetrating fluid every night since the weekend ... 

When the nuts are off, I've got a scissor ball-joint splitter, blow-torch & lump hammer... 

Following your posts with interest!

#104 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 12:38 PM

I watched a few videos on YouTube tried everything but high heat, offside split with the pickle fork after the cast metal splitter just exploded after a few turns and the jaws fell off it. If heat fails I will try to remove the ball joints from the base rather than getting the free bolt end out. Failing that it’s angle grinder time.,..he he he!!

#105 ga2davt

ga2davt

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:26 PM

Agreed .. Angle grinder .. he he,, but then we need a 1.5" socket/spanner to put a new ball joint on.. Google "TE772 Spanner" to see what i just ordered... Hopefully it is okay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users