Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:00 PM

They do have timken in big printed letters on them and are matched sets

So do the fake ones that's the problem. There was a thread on here a few weeks ago with a video from Timken showing how the fakes are mass produced and to the untrained eye you can't spot the difference. That's why its important to buy from a reputable supplier like Minispares to ensure they'll be backed up by their guarantee.
Fake ones I have seen had no markings what so ever if you have them side by side you can feel/see the difference for sure
You need to get a job at Timken because even they admit they can't always tell the fakes until they put them on their test rig.

#17 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 04:12 PM

It's irrelevant anyways. minispares one are legit. Would happily. Buy again

#18 cian

cian

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Local Club: Minis In Northern Ireland

Posted 18 September 2017 - 04:41 PM

I have plenty of rear timkens instock £30 per bearing, I'm a small business and only deal with genuiene items as I know all to well the dangers of aftermarket bearings, many years ago when I could only afford the cheaper bearings I put one in the rear 500 yards down the road it literally exploded in the hub lucky the wheel stayed on! After that I will NEVER put anything aftermarket on my car or a customers car there's just no chancing it

Edited by cian, 18 September 2017 - 04:42 PM.

#19 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:21 AM

I have plenty of rear timkens instock £30 per bearing, I'm a small business and only deal with genuiene items as I know all to well the dangers of aftermarket bearings, many years ago when I could only afford the cheaper bearings I put one in the rear 500 yards down the road it literally exploded in the hub lucky the wheel stayed on! After that I will NEVER put anything aftermarket on my car or a customers car there's just no chancing it

What do you do the fronts for?

#20 cian

cian

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Local Club: Minis In Northern Ireland

Posted 19 September 2017 - 04:09 PM

£40 per bearing kit but I'm currently all sold out and trying to source more! I could get cheap unbranded bearings but I'm not going down that road with my business

Check out my fb page cc minis as I post up items that I stock radius arms etc currently rebuilding 8.4 inch disc calipers

#21 Screwdriver

Screwdriver

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:28 AM

A bit surreal that the aftermarket service industry actually supports a counterfeit product to the point where it is offered an an option. I've even been asked "Would you like the real Timken bearings for 55 quid extra?"

I just ordered by front bearings from Minispares for 50 quid a piece. Couldn't find anything cheaper out there that assured me I was getting original. 

Pictures of the packaging attached 
Attached File  C15E5A58-21BD-4622-9AB2-899C0A67D7A3.jpeg   46.42K   3 downloadsAttached File  A16F88F1-00DE-4190-B7FB-F85D724AD4BF.jpeg   36.28K   1 downloads

Edited by Screwdriver, 12 November 2017 - 11:33 AM.

#22 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 12 November 2017 - 12:50 PM

A bit surreal that the aftermarket service industry actually supports a counterfeit product to the point where it is offered an an option. I've even been asked "Would you like the real Timken bearings for 55 quid extra?"

I just ordered by front bearings from Minispares for 50 quid a piece. Couldn't find anything cheaper out there that assured me I was getting original. 

Pictures of the packaging attached 
attachicon.gifC15E5A58-21BD-4622-9AB2-899C0A67D7A3.jpegattachicon.gifA16F88F1-00DE-4190-B7FB-F85D724AD4BF.jpeg

So who is it who's offering the counterfeit product and why are you showing pictures of the Minispares product?

#23 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:34 PM

When i was last at Minispares, Simon took me for a tour which was cool and also showed me the rogues gallery of dodgy bearings etc that came his way. He does everything that he can to ensure we get a decent quality bit of kit and bearings are one of his bugbears.

This was even a packaged item with a Minispares part number that some hooky bugger was passing off as a legit item. The packaging gave that away. He's always being offered cheap parts that are sub standard.

Like the saying goes buy cheap buy twice.......or more. Bearings are a major failure part that is safety critical. Spend the money on quality and hopefully your wheels will stay where they are.

#24 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:31 PM

A series spares - got all 4 timken wheel bearings for £150!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users