Advice On Buying A Classic Mini Convertible

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Sophie_99

Sophie_99
  • Noobies
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 02:38 PM

I've never had a classic car before but I am looking to buy a classic mini convertible and have found this one:
http://www.classic-c....com/sales.html
Do you think it looks a good buy? I understand that from a dealership it might be more expensive but I thought it might be safer given my inexperience :)
Thank you,
Sophie

#2 minifreek1

minifreek1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.O.C

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:19 PM

If buying convertible Mini, I would see if I could find a genuine Lamm Converted Mini, not the 1 in the link as that looks to have been made from a kit...

Although buying from a dealership gives reassurance, in my experience and dealing with car dealers, they will say everything and anything to part you and your money....

It does look to be in good condition considering its age and mileage...

#3 RedRuby

RedRuby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Local Club: No

Posted 18 September 2017 - 04:06 PM

If you haven't already done so google Classic rover mini cabriolet or convertible, that will bring up quite a few most are retro converts but there are some Lamm and Rover mini cabriolets mainly from GC minis of Swanley Kent, the cheapest of which I can find is around £11,000. Below is a link that has mini convertibles of the type in your link. I suppose it may depend on how far you want to travel to get one. Good luck.

https://cars.trovit....ini-convertible

#4 Sophie_99

Sophie_99
  • Noobies
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:55 PM

Thank you both so much for your help, I am so glad I asked for your advice. 

I've had a look online at the Rover Mini Cabriolets and managed to find this one... http://www.classicca...abriolet/234134

which is hopefully more original? Although it's moved up a price bracket which seems normal now we're looking at the Cabriolets?

Also, what is the difference (if any) between the rover mini cabriolets and the lamm converted minis?

Cant thank you guys enough for your help on this one guys  :highfive:

#5 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Local Club: Not One Worth Mentioning

Posted 18 September 2017 - 06:05 PM

....Do you think it looks a good buy?....

Most Minis look good in photos.

Anyone who isn't very familiar with Minis ideally needs someone who knows them inside out to check them over (a shiny coat of paint can hide a multitude of sins).

It's probably worth joining the Thames Valley Mini Club, there is a pub meet in Theale on the 27th & they have members in Newbury who hopefully might be able to check any car out with you. http://www.tvmc.org/meeting-locations/

#6 RedRuby

RedRuby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Local Club: No

Posted 18 September 2017 - 06:12 PM

There is very little difference between the Lamm and the Rover cabriolet, initially 75 minis were sent to the German company Lamm and I did hear that a further 25 were sent across later. They were so popular that Rover decided to make there own and so they produced a limited run of 300 cabriolets. This is why they can attract a high price as they were produced in so small numbers that they are relatively rare.

Have at look at www.gcminis.co.uk they are in Swanley Kent. They have several cabriolets and Lamms starting at £9,995. May be worth a look

On their home page click on "original mini" at the top of the page then click on see our range of cars on the page that opens, then scroll down the list and open each cabby or Lamm in turn.

Edited by RedRuby, 18 September 2017 - 06:29 PM.

#7 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,129 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:24 PM

Make sure it's correctly registered as a cabriolet.

#8 Shep76S

Shep76S

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Local Club: L&SMOC

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:55 PM

http://www.rovermini...et.net/home.htm

On the above website you can look up the differences between the Lamm and Rover versions of the Cabriolet.
Although the blue one in your original post looks to be in good condition, I personally think it is overpriced for a kit conversion.

#9 Sophie_99

Sophie_99
  • Noobies
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:51 AM

Sorry for my slow response and thank you again for being so helpful. 

I will try and get someone to come along to any viewing I go to... if I ever get to one!

I have been having a look at GC motors as they seem to have most of the Cabriolets on the market however, they have received some very bad reviews over their time which is a bit worrying. 

They do have this for sale.. http://www.gcminis.c...n-nightfire-red

however, it seems very expensive ?

Thank you, 

Sophie

#10 miniman86

miniman86

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
  • Local Club: smag, Waltham Abby

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:48 PM

The only thing I would say about gc is that the cars they have for sale they seem to of had for a very long time. And they're very expensive as you've pointed out. Are you looking for a mini to use daily or as a second car?

Alex

#11 CTRdemon

CTRdemon

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:00 PM

I have just bought a classic mini that is similar to the one in the OP. I think from my research it looks like a "Keith's Conversion" as people seem to call them. Mine is in a VERY different state of repair though ☹️

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users