#1 Laurie

Laurie

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Local Club: GMOC

Posted 18 September 2017 - 06:58 PM

After 9.5years at my current job, I've decided to give all that up for a new career at aged nearly 45!
I'm currently a dogsbody, have been since I started and I don't see that changing to be honest.
So I'm going to give something back to the community, I've had help and care thrown my way in the past so I'd like to give something back.

I'm going to be a full time community carer for the elderly and infirm, but for those who want the freedom to stay in their own homes.

I know it's going to be tremendous hard work, and days will have their ups and downs but I'm really looking forward to it

Just wanted to shout from the rooftops really, thanks for reading x

#2 RedRuby

RedRuby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Local Club: No

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:05 PM

Well done you, a hard but worthwhile job. Good luck.

#3 Anthony30

Anthony30

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:54 PM

I always think about my career choice, and what I really want from life. Don't want to end up 60 years old, thinking I wasted my life. No pause, rewind ect. One life.  :tumble: I would like to move abroad at some point in the near future, if only for a couple of years to get away for a while, to really clear my head and find a clear path.

#4 mm man

mm man

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 06:30 PM

After 9.5years at my current job, I've decided to give all that up for a new career at aged nearly 45!
I'm currently a dogsbody, have been since I started and I don't see that changing to be honest.
So I'm going to give something back to the community, I've had help and care thrown my way in the past so I'd like to give something back.
I'm going to be a full time community carer for the elderly and infirm, but for those who want the freedom to stay in their own homes.
I know it's going to be tremendous hard work, and days will have their ups and downs but I'm really looking forward to it
Just wanted to shout from the rooftops really, thanks for reading x

A good friend of mine has done exactly the same thing and they reckon it's the best thing they have ever done said they should of done it years ago .
Good on you and best wishes for your new career

#5 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:00 PM

My mum did this for her last job before she retired and I get the impression that she very much enjoyed it. Don't expect to become widely rich from it though as the council will always be cutting back its spending.

My mum still occasionally talks to some of the people she used to care for and they still send her Birthday and Christmas cards.

#6 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:12 PM

My partner has a degree in renewable energy and is a qualified engineer. However, she moved to England back in 09 and due to her English not being good enough, she was never able to get a job in this area. She did whatever work she could to start with - factory work, waiting tables, hotel cleaner etc. She then got a job looking after older people in a local care home in Bournemouth and it turns out she's great at it and loves her work. We then moved and she now helps to look after people with Autism. She is a naturally lovely person and as such the clients love her. It has inspired her to become a mental health nurse, and she really enjoys her work. 

I, on the other hand, got out the military, currently work for a defence company, and have been trying to find myself a new career for some time - I just have absolutely no idea what it is I really want to do with the rest of my life! I don't mind retraining but don't want to start right at the beginning again.

Congratulations on your new job and career change. I'm sure you will love it! Finding genuinely good carers is proving harder and harder, with so many stories of abuse and bad conditions for the less able. Good luck, I'm sure it will go well!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users