3 replies to this topic

#1 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:11 PM

As I’ve been finding It a challenge to find a replacement black lower dash rash rail, in decent enough condition, that isn’t stupidly priced I’ve settled on plan b. Over the weekend I managed to pick up a lower dash rail in grey with the chrome trim for a decent price. I’ve since spent an afternoon cleaning it, wiping it over with brake cleaner and a rag. It’s now mint and almost too good to recolour, but needs must. Only, I only have one shot at recolouring it. So which is the best vinyl dye to use and one that penetrates the vinyl? I also want a standard looking dash rail at the end of it, so more of a satin finish as opposed to a tacky high gloss.  

#2 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:37 PM

I have had good results with this product

http://www.kolorbond...t-leather-vinyl

They can colour match if you send a sample, its quite expensive but the finish is good.  I used a small cheap spray gun from ebay which was perfect for this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162560025637

#3 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:33 PM

Doing a bit of a google on that vinylcote. It works out at £14.50+vat per can, but minimum order of 2 with £12+vat postage on top. And as those are old prices it would be well over £50. Witch for that I’d be better off selling on my current grey dash rail and buying a black dash rail for the same price.

#4 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:34 AM

Hi, unfortunatly as you say its not cheap, especially if you also buy the correct cleaner and degreaser from them but when I looked at others the finish was very poor (mostly far too shiny).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users