4 replies to this topic

#1 malc_west

malc_west

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 12:30 PM

Hi, I'm currently rebuilding a mini 30 and I'm in the middle of the body work stage. I've got the floor cleaned off on both sides to access it and I'm surprised how rust free it is. My one problem is the cars been jacked what I'm guessing is a fair amount of times from the brackets that line it up in the factory so the front foot wells on both sides are bent up out of shape. What I need is some advice on how to straighten these out, best technique to tackle the problem? I'm aware that I can replace these sections but think I may as well try and straighten the original instead of going straight to the cut out and replace option.
As always thanks for any advise and taking the time to read/respond

#2 slidehammer

slidehammer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 21 September 2017 - 12:54 PM

It is a common problem, people thinking they are jacking points.When I straighten my floor out I used a hammer and doll. It worked fine. You could always put some wood under the floor and then tap the floor flat from above.

#3 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 01:14 PM

If you use a wood or rubber mallet it might help to not damage or kink the floor.

#4 malc_west

malc_west

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 01:14 PM

That's kind of what I was thinking, how close to normal is possible to get?

#5 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,898 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 21 September 2017 - 01:40 PM

Big piece of wood and a club hammer to start with. That will get rid of the worst of the damage. Then use a panel beating hammer and dolly to finish off. You will need to remove the slinging bracket to get a decent finish. They are not needed and act as a rust trap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users