They were put in place before painting tho

#17 surfblue

surfblue

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 04:55 PM

Not a big fan of self tappers, even stainless steel ones, so easy to overtighten and encourage rust. Rivnuts are great but if you haven’t got a setting tool and it’s just light parts, could I suggest plastic captive nuts then a stainless self tapper. I used them on my grill and they work great, even have about a 1mm face that sits proud and is helping hold the grill just enough off the front panel to reduce rubbing on the nice fresh paint.

Though as many have already said, whatever fitting you use, you really need to properly protect the exposed metal after drilling holes with some paint and primer. Pain in the hole slowing a job down, but has to be done.

Have you got a link for the plastic captive nuts please?

I find my grille screws become loose because you have it off regularly then requiring ever bigger self tappers. These might be just the thing!

#18 Laurie

Laurie

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Local Club: GMOC

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:48 PM

I put my trim on with rivets in the end, holes in the bonnet were handily painted by the paint shop.

Its one hell of a lot tighter fit than plain screws were

#19 Alice Dooper

Alice Dooper

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Local Club: Minis in Northern Ireland

Posted 24 September 2017 - 10:42 PM

Not a big fan of self tappers, even stainless steel ones, so easy to overtighten and encourage rust. Rivnuts are great but if you haven’t got a setting tool and it’s just light parts, could I suggest plastic captive nuts then a stainless self tapper. I used them on my grill and they work great, even have about a 1mm face that sits proud and is helping hold the grill just enough off the front panel to reduce rubbing on the nice fresh paint.
Though as many have already said, whatever fitting you use, you really need to properly protect the exposed metal after drilling holes with some paint and primer. Pain in the hole slowing a job down, but has to be done.

Have you got a link for the plastic captive nuts please?
I find my grille screws become loose because you have it off regularly then requiring ever bigger self tappers. These might be just the thing!

I usually buy them in a local motor factors but here what they look like -

http://www.ebay.co.u...aQAAOSwtExVgtYJ

#20 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 24 September 2017 - 11:11 PM

I put my trim on with rivets in the end, holes in the bonnet were handily painted by the paint shop.

Its one hell of a lot tighter fit than plain screws were

it is a one time fit so that was the correct option.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users