16 replies to this topic

#16 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:34 PM

Friend of mine has an '83 and it does not have the master/servo combination, so what year is this car anyway? Buyer beware.

Lots of things could have been altered/fitted but rear (C post) seatbelt mounts weren't fitted untill 1989 & that looks suspiciously like a round fan hole in the inner wing -which makes the shell 1991 at the earliest.

Wouldn't have bid on it what with the sellers feedback - but this one stinks.... a car given an earlier (non-tax exempt) registration - why would someone feel the need to give it a different identity even when it made the car worth less than it would have done.

I have an 84 and have worked on an 83, both A reg, that both have/had the seatbelt mounts welded to the shell from the factory. The 84 being my own the 83 being one I fitted rear seat belts too. Both of witch were never fitted with rear belts from new, that wasn't until late 86.

#17 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts
  • Local Club: Not One Worth Mentioning

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:11 PM

Rear 2 point seat belt mount brackets (for lap belts) were factory fitted from 1982 (as you say rear seat belts only became standard fitment from Oct '86).

Somerford give the start date for 3 point seat belts which required a C pillar upper mounting bracket as 1988 - perhaps their date is wrong & ALJ360120/ALJ360130 were fitted earlier -it doesn't really make any difference it's still not a 1983 shell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users