6 replies to this topic

#1 Steve win69

Steve win69

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:57 PM

Hi all, my wife has had the above all but from brand new, has just had it's end of warranty and first MOT. 31k on the clock. yes the car goes fast but my wife likes the look of it and just drives it steady.

EoW highlighted nothing, but MOT says new pads on the rear, but front ok - fair enough - but also new discs to the front (yes front). £440 for the pleasure which i know i can get cheaper but the cost isn't the main concern it's that the discs have worn to the min over 31k miles but the pads to the same axel are fine.

do mini discs wear excessively??

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 22 September 2017 - 01:15 PM

Welcome to the Mini forum you may have noticed when signing up this is a forum for the Mini not the MINI try Mini2 or totalMini

there are some members that also have Minis but you will get a better response somewhere else.

#3 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 22 September 2017 - 01:36 PM

Moved to motor mouth section with link back

FS

#4 DeanP

DeanP

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 03:18 PM

We have a  2016 hatch JCW and just changed the front pads myself at 17K (for £35 ;D  ) and I'm just about to do the rears after a further 500 miles for about the same price. 

I think it's safe to say it's common the brake pads need replacing at such a low mileage as ours, so I guess the discs after 31K could be about right too.

I have been told by a technical engineer that Continental changed the balancing of brakes a few years ago. Brakes apparently leaned towards putting more pressure on the fronts initially. They decided if you were light on your brakes the rears would have more pressure applied. Therefore the rears demolish quite quickly on new cars.

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 22 September 2017 - 04:19 PM

31k for front discs! my 2007 Suzuki Swift sport is still on the originals at over 60k rear have hardly been marked. will need to change the front discs at the end of the spring though.

#6 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 22 September 2017 - 06:42 PM

I'm as surprised as you that the disc rotors need changing but the pads are fine. That said, here in the States we always change the rotors at the same time as the pads......but cheap rotors often get to pulsating fairly quickly with use, same with cheap brake pads. I use ceramic pads to avoid having to clean the black crap off my wheels, but there's no denying the factory pads work well and don't pulsate....even after you use them hard....but what a PITA to constantly clean after them.

What causes the rears to wear more quickly are two points - the handbrake being left on or the DCS, which uses the rear brakes to stabilize the car in hard turns.

#7 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,641 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 22 September 2017 - 07:51 PM

Suppose it's on how abrasive the brake pads are, how hard you drive. I've gone through a set of discs and two sets of pads in 30k in my derv mapped fiesta.

Wouldn't moan on cost, let's face it you have a jcw, big brakes, not a base model..

Edited by Midas Mk1, 22 September 2017 - 07:51 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brakes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users