• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 flagship-alex

flagship-alex
  • Noobies
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:55 PM

Hello.

My dad is approaching retirement and has been offered the chance to buy a 1995 (I think) Japanese import Mini Cooper.

Having been to look at it the other day after reading the tips on here it looks fairly solid in terms of sill rust and areas such as the scuttle seem fairly good too!

There is a small hole in the floor along the front edge where it meets the bulkhead/firewall but its only maybe 2 square so hopefully something the garage can weld up? There are a few other rusty patches Ive photographed (roof gutters, door edges, etc)

Currently only the drivers seat is fitted/secured using some custom made brackets, but they are some quite nice recaro numbers with grey Union Jack pattern in them. Would hope we could get some passenger brackets made using the drivers side as a template?

There are no carpets or door trims fitted but a new pack of carpets are being provided and the door trims dont seem to be too expensive to source. It currently has no MOT (expired in August) and has done a total of 21k miles.

Some photos are in the following link - would really appreciate anyones advice on anything that screams avoid about this car? Also anyone able to advise what the going rate for a car in this condition should be?

https://www.dropbox....7aMyM2Foia?dl=0

#2 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,897 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:21 PM

What looks like a solid car is hiding more than you think. The gutter rust is as you says but i also see rust forming on the roof.

The rear quarter needs a repair as you mentioned but i would be taking that rubber trim strip off to see what is lurking.

Going rate, not sure about that to be honest but i think there is a lot more work there than meets the eye. 

#3 spraybeater

spraybeater

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Local Club: Mcr

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:34 PM

Hello.

My dad is approaching retirement and has been offered the chance to buy a 1995 (I think) Japanese import Mini Cooper.

Having been to look at it the other day after reading the tips on here it looks fairly solid in terms of sill rust and areas such as the scuttle seem fairly good too!

There is a small hole in the floor along the front edge where it meets the bulkhead/firewall but its only maybe 2 square so hopefully something the garage can weld up? There are a few other rusty patches Ive photographed (roof gutters, door edges, etc)

Currently only the drivers seat is fitted/secured using some custom made brackets, but they are some quite nice recaro numbers with grey Union Jack pattern in them. Would hope we could get some passenger brackets made using the drivers side as a template?

There are no carpets or door trims fitted but a new pack of carpets are being provided and the door trims dont seem to be too expensive to source. It currently has no MOT (expired in August) and has done a total of 21k miles.

Some photos are in the following link - would really appreciate anyones advice on anything that screams avoid about this car? Also anyone able to advise what the going rate for a car in this condition should be?

https://www.dropbox....7aMyM2Foia?dl=0

If you need someone to have a look at it and give you advice, let me know!

As I note you are in Leeds, been about Minis for longer than I care to remember,

Also have a current project on here Coachbuilt Oyler Contessa and a previous project

of a few months ago Retirement Project 1275 Sprite.

As Sonik says there could be more rust lurking than is shown on any photos,

my only interest is to help somebody to not buy something that will start as a

good idea and then get abandoned due them under estimating the amount of

work/cost 

#4 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:29 PM

I would look behind the dash , upper fresh air vent area , and the a posts (door hinge area)

this is where the 90's mini's rust, and are quite expensive to repair as the panels are the upper bulkhead area

hard to repair without removing outer panels 

as well as heel board , boot floor sills & roof gutter area , other rust should be more obvious

I am being cynical , but it is best to be when buying

I hope if you get it , it's an easy fix

I would take the mileage with a pinch of salt (just my opinion)

#5 flagship-alex

flagship-alex
  • Noobies
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 06:52 PM

Thanks for the advice so far! Really helpful and given us some food for thought!

Spraybeater if your offer to give it a once over is genuine then that would be amazing! Totally above and beyond!! Will send you a PM if thats something we want to arrange!

#6 spraybeater

spraybeater

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Local Club: Mcr

Posted 25 September 2017 - 07:08 PM

Thanks for the advice so far! Really helpful and given us some food for thought!

Spraybeater if your offer to give it a once over is genuine then that would be amazing! Totally above and beyond!! Will send you a PM if thats something we want to arrange!

No probs, send me a PM and we can arrange something, am I am a bit limited 

on time for the next couple of weeks but should be able to help.

#7 DomCr250

DomCr250

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Local Club: 16V mini club

Posted 26 September 2017 - 09:24 AM

From your picture 12 of the NS skuttle I'd maybe take a closer look ... something does not look quite right, but it might just be the light?

Dont be taken in by the mileage, all old mini's suffer from rust and the number of miles completed does not really mean much.

It looks like it's been in the UK since May 2010 and it came in with just 13K ,,, if it has a UK speedo with MPH, then the Jap spec KMH one has been swapped. Even for a Jap owned car 13K in 12 years is low.

I'm surprised somebody has not made more effort to make it presentable ... to me personally that would make me think and take a closer look.

Has some welding on the front subframe mount in 2012 .. so it had work done on it.

How much are they asking for it?

Edited by DomCr250, 26 September 2017 - 09:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users