5 replies to this topic

#1 malc_west

malc_west

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:43 PM

Grade of sandpaper between 1st and 2nd primer coats boys and girls? 400 wet an dry or is that a bit gental? Thanks

#2 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:45 PM

I will be using 400, too heavy and you will find lines appearing.

#3 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:50 PM

Just checked with the info Ben_o gave me and he uses 400 so backs up my previous statement.

#4 malc_west

malc_west

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:10 PM

Thank you mate

#5 weef

weef

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:18 PM

Hi  its best to build up the primer coats before rubbing down. If your any good with the spraygun you will not need to rub down between coats perhaps only a light de-nib. Once your satisfied with the coverage , 220 grade wet and dry, using lots of water, is fine for rubbing down. Try not to rub through but if this happens just spot prime and rub down again. Flat panels are best rubbed using a rubbing block both for rapid cutting and a smooth finish. If you  want to ensure a complete flatting, a dust coat of a contrasting colour is sprayed over the primer, then rub down till all the contrasting colour is gone. When rubbing freehand hold the paper flat to reduce the chance of getting finger lines.

220 gives you quick paint removal and is smooth enough for the first topcoats. 

400 can be used for the topcoats, using the dulled 400 paper as smoother paper.

Let the paint harden sufficiently before any rubbing down and use lots of water to keep the paper cutting sharp.

#6 Minimattvan

Minimattvan

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 11:23 PM

Yes what he said.
Don't try 400 grit on primer, rather than cutting the primer smooth, the finer grit will just follow the top surface.
I usually do a 220 or 240 over primer, mayby some 320 then a coat of base, then a 500, another coat of top, if I'm going for metalic I will then go for a 800 and a final coat of colour, but if your going for a flat base colour then it's a little more forgiving than a metalic & clear coat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users