4 replies to this topic

#1 pothole

pothole

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 07:25 PM

I am replacing the A panel on my 97 Cooper and needed to remove the door, and surprise, surprise three of the nuts sheared the only nut that came off was the very top one.

Any ideas on the best repair to do on these, thanks

#2 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 07:35 PM

I think  you should be able to grind the weld off the back of the stud, drill out the stud and re-thread it, Add new studs and weld them on.

#3 slidehammer

slidehammer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 26 September 2017 - 08:09 PM

Here is how I repaired mine, you need a mig, which I assume you would have if you are replacing the A panel,

First I separated the 2 halves by punching out the roll pin. Then I heated the old stud up to red hot and let it cool gradually as the fact there were welded in has made the metal very hard and difficult to drill the old stub out, so this heating relaxed the metal again . Then I filed the broken stud flat so I could centre punch it and the gradually drill the old stud out

vM1eGBG.jpg

you can see one has been done and the other is being drilled out.

84E2rzZ.jpg

Next I bought some imperial bolts with the correct thread and hack sawed off the heads and then using an old nut as a spacer made sure the back of the bolt was recessed (to allow space for the weld pool) clamped it with a spot weld clamp.

ExJZgLH.jpg

Then filled up the back with weld (you want the welder set quite hot as it a thick piece of metal you are welding. Then I removed the nut I was using as a distance piece. Reassemble with roll pin and a lick of paint and the jobs a good in. good luck

#4 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:11 AM

Excellent work and nicely explained - pics are great too.

#5 pothole

pothole

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 08:28 AM

Thanks for the help, that's a great description of what I need to do and great photos thank for that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users