2 replies to this topic

#1 Flatsix911

Flatsix911

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 04:16 AM

After removing the carpet and outer sills, I've found an oversill over the original sill, inner sill over the original inner sill with really poor welds to the floor pan. The front driver and passenger floor sections were replaced and welded over the rotting pan beneath. I've got buckets of rust after removing the sills. What a mess!

I'm replacing the entire pan next week and want some suggestions. I plan on using square tube welded from A to B pillar and then lateral A to A and B to B with gusseted corners to hold the car square. I plan on removing and replacing the floor with the subframes in and the wheels on the ground and then jacking the car and finishing the under car welds after the floor has been welded side to side and as much as possible in the front and rear areas.

Does this sound like it'll work?

Please let me know if you see any potential issues.

Thanks!

Edited by Flatsix911, 29 September 2017 - 04:17 AM.

#2 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 07:00 AM

I replaced full floor on my mk2, the bracing I used was same as you are contemplating but I had a bare shell on axle stands all set level, I used bare sub frames to aid alignment checking all dimensions including diagonals

#3 DR3AM-W3AVUH

DR3AM-W3AVUH

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 11:41 PM

What you describe is fine. If you look at the Pinned post of how to replace inner and outer sills, gives you some examples of bracing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users