16 replies to this topic

#1 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 04:08 PM

Being in the US, its tricky (and expensive) to always have to buy from your end of pond. With the lambda sensor, I have seen a few Land Rover units that look to have the exact same connector and a very close part number and was wondering if they would work in an SPi Mini. One in particular was part# 0 258 003 229, where as the Rover Mini unit is 0 258 003 193. I was wondering if this might only be something like whether the plug connector has a mounting tab or the wire length is slightly differnt. The price is certainly right and its within the US which would be nice.

#2 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 29 September 2017 - 05:31 PM

The lambda sensor was used on other models. Often if the part number has a suffix letter only as the change it is identical ( L for Landrover).
The issue is many part suppliers use the OEM part number even if it isn't OEM

FS

#3 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 29 September 2017 - 05:36 PM

Do you have Bosch agents in the US ?
FS

#4 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 06:13 PM

I'm sure there must be. Guess a good place to start. Just wondering if anyone knew this info off the top of their head. Obviously, the US never got the Rover Mini, or any Rover but we did get Land Rover and Ford, which share parts with Rover. 

#5 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 03:18 PM

No luck with finding this part from a Bosch distributor here. Trying to stick with a genuine Bosch unit.

Found the MHK 1000 4 or MHK 1000 4L for 110USD

Also found a MHK 1000 6 for 70USD.

Silly to ask but what is the difference between a 4 and a 6 you think? Something simple like a longer lead or no way it would work? I know you can't judge much from a picture but that certainly seems to be the case.

MHK 1000 4

s-l500.jpg

MHK 1000 6

s-l500.jpg

Edited by brivinci, 03 October 2017 - 03:21 PM.

#6 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,799 posts
  • Name: Craig

Posted 03 October 2017 - 04:39 PM

No luck with finding this part from a Bosch distributor here. Trying to stick with a genuine Bosch unit.

Found the MHK 1000 4 or MHK 1000 4L for 110USD

Also found a MHK 1000 6 for 70USD.

Silly to ask but what is the difference between a 4 and a 6 you think? Something simple like a longer lead or no way it would work? I know you can't judge much from a picture but that certainly seems to be the case.

MHK 1000 4

MHK 1000 6

I did a quick search of the 6 and the 4 on a Swedish part site.

While they share very similar vehicles (Rover 200, 400, 800, 25 and Land rovers) they don't share any engine variants. 

MHK 1000 4 has an overall length of 423

MHK 1000 6 has an overall length of 623

#7 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 06:25 PM

Sooo, should play it safe and go with the right one then? Wheres the fun in that.

#8 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,799 posts
  • Name: Craig

Posted 03 October 2017 - 08:41 PM

Would be handy to know! I actually extended the wiring on my 10004 as my lambda was position a bit further away from standard

#9 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:13 PM

A couple things that came to mind:

1: Bosch sells universal fit sensors that fit loads of vehicles...just have to trim and connect leads. Point being, these fit so many cars that I have to believe that most are just lead length and end connector.

2: With the two listed above, they are used in many of the same makes, just not the same engine capacity. That makes sense becasue with a change in liters, there could be a change in Lambda location...differnet length leads. 

This is all guess workof course. Maybe i can contact Bosch with this questions.

In the near future, I would like to install a new Y-joint for my LCB with a Lambda take off to get the sensor reading both banks rather then one. Would be nice to have a longer lead now so I can do that a lot easier/cheaper.

#10 hunterg30

hunterg30

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 08:27 PM

be good if someone had both ,they could do a comparable resistance test.

#11 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 05 October 2017 - 11:32 AM

Being in the US, its tricky (and expensive) to always have to buy from your end of pond. With the lambda sensor, I have seen a few Land Rover units that look to have the exact same connector and a very close part number and was wondering if they would work in an SPi Mini. One in particular was part# 0 258 003 229, where as the Rover Mini unit is 0 258 003 193. I was wondering if this might only be something like whether the plug connector has a mounting tab or the wire length is slightly differnt. The price is certainly right and its within the US which would be nice.

Bosch technical documentation suggest both sensors are the same technology and suggest the same universal part for both the part numbers you list above which is 0 258 986 506. It probably won't come with a connector.

#12 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 05 October 2017 - 11:37 AM

I have a similar question regarding the LSU4.9 wide band sensors as Bosch have two differing part number groups for what looks to be an identical sensor. Initially I thought it was to do with the fact that all of one group I looked at were fitted to petrol engines, while all the other group were fitted to Diesel engines. Someone then showed me that both sensor types had been fitted to Diesel engines , thus making no sense lol. One must be different to the other but no one really knows 😆

Edited by Sprocket, 05 October 2017 - 11:38 AM.

#13 genpop

genpop

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 03:32 PM

Have a look here:   http://www.bosch-lambdasonde.de/en/

#14 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:39 PM

The fact that the same universal lambda (with their patented universal connection system) is listed for engines in both those two part#s above must mean these are the same internally, no?

I wrote Bosch UK and they instantly asked where I was located. Told them US but this was a UK/Euro specific question and that I was not looking for some cross region undertaking BUT they seem to not want to give me any more info now. I then stressed that the injection mini scene is very interested in this question (based in the UK) so we can fit longer leaded (not sure thats a word) lambda sensors so it can be placed in a better location. No word back yet. Maybe someone else can try on your end. They are pretty quick to respond.

#15 Xinarin13

Xinarin13

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 04:57 AM

any word?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users