3 replies to this topic

#1 Cameron2310

Cameron2310

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 02:31 PM

We all know the controversy with ebay turbos and how some people hate them and others think they're great for the money you spend on them (Assuming you buy the right one) but what about going even cheaper?

What's stopping me from putting any old used turbo on an NA engine? I have about 12 cars lying around on my farm, all waiting to be scrapped or sold and a few of them have a turbo on them, is there anything stopping me from using one of those instead of new turbo, temporarily at least.

#2 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 30 September 2017 - 08:57 PM

Providing it's in useable condition and is a suitable spec for you're intended user here's no reason you can't use one.

Phil.

#3 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,849 posts
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 30 September 2017 - 10:09 PM

I would have thought sourcing the turbo was the least of the problem. It's all the other work that's going to cost time and money.

#4 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 02 October 2017 - 10:05 AM

The turbo is usually the smallest part of the package when it comes to turboing a mini. There's so much else that needs to be done. I took a gamble on an eBay second hand Garrett GT1752 and it paid off! Turned out it had been recently reconditioned and the seller knew nothing about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mini Spares