#1 supersimono

supersimono

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 03:34 PM

Hi Guys,

So I've finally got my mini back after 4 years of work which I'm super happy about however I have a few things to tidy up which I need some help with.

Finished mini: https://ibb.co/dibtDw

I'm in the process of fitting some new spot lights but I'm slightly confused as to how to connect them. Yes I'm aware there are other posts about this but electrical stuff confuses me. If the person who owned the car before me made the wiring neater then maybe I would figure it out....

I've got two Wipac spotlights to connect (has one wire coming out of it) and my old spotlights has a two-pin harness to connect to the wiring loom. I've tried connecting the two directly together but it doesn't do anything....

Connector: https://ibb.co/nFHTfb

Any help would be great!

Or would it just be easier to buy 2 new lamps from minisport with the harness connector? https://www.minispor...abs_description

Thanks

Simon

#2 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 30 September 2017 - 03:43 PM

The blue/white wire is the 12 volt power feed to the spotlight bulb.

The black wire is the earth.

It will be the case that the black wire is redundant because the spotlight will earth through the case/bracket. Some spotlights hve a terminal inside the case adjacent to the bulb position for an earth wire which is more reliable should the case not earth properly.

All you need to do is to mount the spotlights, take the lenses out and have a look inside. If there is an earth terminal provision then run a black wire from there to the connector you have, You might need to replace the connectors with new bullet connectors.

It is very simple really. Each spotlight bulb needs a 12 volt feed which should be a blue/white wire. Fit that then see if they work without an earth, but make sure the lens unit is fitted back into the body of the spotlight or it cannot earth without a black earth wire.

You most certainly don't need to buy two new lamps just to get the earth sorted out.

#3 RAB1ZNAZ

RAB1ZNAZ

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 04:57 PM

I installed few months ago new spotlights and foglights to my Red Hot Mini.

I had to renew lighting wiring completely because previous owner had them wired completely wrong and they burned to crisp when I had them on and pushed the emergency lights on.

If you are going to add new spotlights to your car I am suggesting that you will add relays to all your lights also. It will greatly reduce electric work for the future.

There is wiring diagrams for the spotlights on many forums in the internet but the diagrams are never drawn with original wiring colours of Mini. I haven't yet drawn my own wiring diagram clear but I can draw them clear if you are having problems with your lights.

#4 Gillybobs

Gillybobs

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Local Club: Sheffield Mini Club

Posted 03 October 2017 - 07:34 PM

You need 2 of these!
https://www.minispor...mp-harness.html

Going to fit different spots to my Italian job going to use these for mine .
There is a pair of relays on the inner wing up by the brake servo one of them is for the spots . The one to the rear on my car is for the spots . There are four wires to it . Blue and white ,blue and yellow , purple ,and a black wire .
The purple is the live feed from the fuse box . Blue and yellow goes to power the spots . The connector in your hand there would be 2 of them . On one of them there is a blue and white wire that should connect to the blue and white head lamp wires that are in the area your holding the connector probably tuck up behind the grill . This blue and white triggered the relay that then powers the spots .

#5 supersimono

supersimono

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:31 PM

I looked at those and thought they would do the job, the single connection on the spotlight just threw me a bit...should have thought to take the back off the spotlight and have a look inside

Thanks guys!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users